Fixed B&D toaster

Cheap late model Black & Decker toaster got more and more reluctant to stay down. I finally opened it up tonight and found the mechanism consists of an electromagnet controlled by an electronic timer. Bread crumbs had collected on top of the electromagnet and were creating a sufficient gap to prevent it from holding the mechanism down. Cleaned it out, put it back together and it's working well again. One out of the four screws holding the cover on was some weird security screw, but small needle nose pliars made quick work of that.

Reply to
James Sweet

I've got one with a similar mech. Works brilliantly compared to the old purely mechanical system, except for one small detail. The designer cleverly omitted to put on an over-ride button ! So, if what you are toasting starts to scorch before the damn thing decides it's cooked, the only way to get it to stop and pop your toast up, is to either flick the wall switch off, or pull the plug !!

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Don't you just love those easy ones? :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

No way to push the lever up? At least the Toastmaster has that!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

What brand and model? At the minimum, you should be able to manually pull up the handle! Would it even be legal to have a toaster that couldn't be shut down without unplugging it?

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

I want one of these Sanyo Panda toasters:

:)

Reply to
Meat Plow

Mmmm... Toasted pandas...

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

It's actually a Philips, which I agree, you would have thought better of ...

If I'm absolutely honest Andy, you *can* get the lever back up, but it takes considerable force to do so, such that it feels that you ought not to be doing that way for fear of breaking something. Also, because this is a mechanically 'slow' way of doing it, with the elements still energised, there is a good old flash visible through the slot, when it does release. In contrast, we have two 4-slice toasters at our cafe, which also use an electromagnetic locking system, but have a cancel button. Simple and much more effective than the Philips effort.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily
8 In contrast, we have two 4-slice toasters at our cafe, which also use

However, in making the mass market model for the Great Unwashed, if you can eliminate a switch - the attendant wiring - and the resulting assembly complexity -- and you save 50 cents per model.... Now, then, if you sell 10,000,000 of them .....................

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

The original poster didn't say which B&D toaster he owned, but it was likely a GE toaster oven. This (and similar) models have two ways of cancelling -- you either flip up the "push to toast" switch, or you open the door.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

No, it's not a toaster oven, just an ordinary 2 slice toaster. I didn't post the model number because I was too lazy to go find it, I'm sure many models work similarly. There's a cancel button, as well as the lever can be forced up without too much effort, but that's irrelevant to the original problem.

Reply to
James Sweet

Good for you James! Where I live people would just throw it out.

Reply to
SCOTT

I just bought the stupid thing a couple months ago, it still looked like new so I opened it up. I usually take a crack at fixing anything, so long as it isn't total junk.

Reply to
James Sweet

I have the same problem with mine.

I'll check it out.

Thanks,

db

Reply to
D-unit

The handle is a real pain in the butt to get back on, keep at it and you'll figure it out.

Reply to
James Sweet

Most toasters can be fixed with a good cleaning. I used to fix these kinds of things when business was slow charging just a couple of dollars. Most people didnt know the bottom of the toaster came off for cleaning. Finding one full of roaches always grossed me out .

Jimmie

Reply to
Jimmie D