finding lost stuff

Techs are so often mislaying important parts, I thought this might be amusing.

Several months ago I was working on my Pioneer LD-S2 LV player, trying to get the loading drawer to work smoothly. (Never did.) During the process, I needed a new battery for the remote, and (I remember distinctly!) dropping the battery cover amongst all the junk in the living room. This wasn't a critical loss, and I expected to find the cover when-and-if I ever cleaned up the living room.

Well... about an hour ago I was cleaning out the drawer where I store batteries, and... you can guess the rest.

I must have dropped the cover in the drawer when I was getting a battery, and only thought I'd dropped in the living room after I couldn't find it.

Duh...

Basic rule... If you can't find something where you think you lost it -- it's almost certainly somewhere else.

"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right questions."

-- Edwin Land

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Isn't that like you always find something you've lost in the last place you look...

Of course it's the last place - 'cause you found it!

John ;-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Similar to what I tell friends when they ask if I'm going to be home...

Yes, unless I've gone somewhere.

They don't get it.

You'd be surprised how often this is true.

A similar rule applies to maintenance: Begin troubleshooting at the point of last repair.

Professor Solomon has an e-book on the subject of finding lost objects:

Check out his other books, too.

David K. Bryant

However... Just the other day I found a missing CD where I suspected I'd left it. But though I'd looked for it over and over again in that place, it hadn't shown up, and I'd bought a replacement.

The rule is true most of the time -- but not always.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Simple algorithm for finding lost stuff. Buy a new one. When you go to put it away, you'll find the old one. Return the new one for credit ;-)

Reply to
mike

This works, because when you buy a new one, you stop looking in all the wrong places.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I'm always misplacing my keys, appointment book, cell phone, just fill in t he blanks. I just can't keep track of my stuff either. But It's uncanny how I'll look in the same place at least five times and and never see it, and then my wife will look there once and find it. She's also a much better coo k than I am. That's another reason I keep her around. Lenny

Reply to
captainvideo462009