Find Small AC motor Fusable Link?

Have a 16" Chinese AC Electric Fan that has a blown motor due to lack of lub.

Did some quick checking and the motor blew before doing unrepairable damage to the bushings.

Have never had a blown Chinese AC Electric Motor before so would be interested in any tips finding the blown fusable link.

Did some forum searching but found nothing using AC electric motor fusable link but found nothing.

Thanks

Ken

Reply to
KenO

You will find it hidden in the motor field windings. These are not repairable. Similar to letting the magic smoke out and being unable to get it back in the component.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

How do you know it isn't a bimetal self-resetting thermal overload device?

Reply to
dave

How would that pass UL testing? The thermal fuse is to prevent a fire, not to protect the transformer. Some transformers have the thermal fuse in a pocket in the bobbin, but I have only saved a few of them because the transformer has usually shorted windings before the fuse blew.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I just had a crappy Lakewood 20" box fan burn out. I've been oiling the bearings for years to keep the junker running, but today it just died while I was sitting a few feet away.

It turns out there's slim thermal fuse hidden in the vinyl tubing where the leads for power/speed and the run cap are attached to the windings.

It would be a 10 minute repair, if I had any spare 115C 2amp thermal fuses.

Taking into account that the newer version of window fans are even junkier, it may be worth the $5 to get a hong kong post 10 pack of ebay thermal fuses and hope at least one works.

It is quite possible some of these cheapo fan motors can be fixed, or at least tricked back into sort of working.

The motor in my case wasn't even varnish dipped. You can dig straight into the windings with a spudging tool.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Cydrome Leader,

"...Lakewood 20" box fan...there's slim thermal fuse hidden in the vinyl tubing where the leads for power/speed and the run cap are attached to the windings."

Thanks for the tip.

Any suggestions concerning how you found it?

Thanks

Ken

Reply to
KenO

I use a dressmaking pin and two clip leads and my ohmmeter. One clip lead goes to one end of the winding, the other clip lead holds the pin. I caref ully use the pin to probe the various field coils till I find where the ope n is located. A sharp pin can penetrate the insulation on the individual w ires without shorting anything, if you don't have a ham hand. I usually fi nd the non-resetting fuse at one end or the other of the windings, they don 't seem to put them in the middle.

Reply to
hrhofmann

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net

Thanks for your detailed suggestions.

Ken

Reply to
KenO

everyone,

Since posting I have been searching in the hope that someone else had a a blown fuse on an electric fan like mine.

Finally found a detailed instruction for this at

It has some good photos and the motor looks just like mine. Only difference is mine does Not have a timer.

Would be interested in any comments by anyone who has done this repair.

Do you agree with everything or have any any additional suggestions?

Thanks

Ken

Reply to
KenO