Filter material for PC fans and cases????

Anyone know where to find the foam material that is used for filters. The kind you would use behind computer fans and the like to catch dust. I need to make some custom filters for a few 120mm fans, Is there some place that sells it by the sheet or rolls?

Reply to
GMAN

kind

make

it by

A get-by idea if you can't find the real mccoy, that part-melted fibrous plastic kitchen pan scourer cloth

N_Cook

DIY stores sell it for cooker hoods. About 5mm thick.

--
*The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hardware stores often have sheets of open foam filter material for air conditioner filters. It's a couple square feet, about 1/8" thick, and easily cut to size with scissors.

-

Jim Adney

In message , N_Cook writes

That's exactly what I use.

My PC tower had two fans - an extractor at the back (for the PSU at the top of the tower) and a 'sucker-in' a bit lower down. I turned the lower one around so that it was also an extractor, and added a 'sucker-in' on the front (the case was already drilled to take a fan). I then blocked up as much as I reasonably could of all the other holes and slots in the case, the idea being that the only way for the air to get in would be via the front fan. Finally, I jammed a piece of pan scourer (about 5 inches square and 3/4 inch thick) between the plastic front cover (which has some fancy vents hidden near the bottom) and the part of the front of the case where the fan is.

Every couple of weeks, I simply pull off the front cover, remove the pan scourer filter, and remove the dust (and then, of course, replace it). The amount of dirt on the filter is absolutely unbelievable.

--
Ian
Reply to

You need fairly open stuff od the airflow will be impeded.

Do you mean this which I've used in power amps a lot (mainly present a nice trim to cooling slots).

You don't say where you are but in case you're in the UK go to Foam Engineers for it.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

The kind

make

it by

nice trim

Engineers for

so thats what its called

N_Cook

Thanks, I will call around. I was rattling my brain trying to think what types of industries use filter materials like what i am seeking and range or stove hood vents was something i had forgotten about.

What i am looking for are sheets or rolls of this material. This company has what i sort of need but they will not sell to non corporate customers. I need a slightly larger size.

GMAN

I tried Home Depot and Lowes no luck. I will try around at some smaller stores like ACE if i can find one locally. I cant believe its this hard to find the stuff.

Reply to
GMAN

Yes, exactly

Yes thats it, also known as

The above company wont sell to retail purchasers, just resellers. Plus i need a larger sized sheet so i can cut to size.

I am in Salt Lake City, Utah USA.

Reply to
GMAN

The

make

it

nice

need a

Engineers

You might try industrial supply on 3rd west and 17th south. Try some of the sewing supply or arts and crafts stores for sheet foam rubber. bg

Reply to
bg

make

Google 'reticulated foam'. That's all I did. There seemed to bevarious sellers other than the manufacturers.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Cooker hood filters maybe.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I can walk into the local Grainger's store and buy anything they sell. I am not in business, or even able to work these days. I tell them what I want, they enter it into the computer, pull the items from stock, add sales tax and I hand them the cash.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth\'s aluminum foil beanie for the \'global warming\'
sheep.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Branch: 696

2775 S. 900 W. Salt Lake City, UT 84119-2447 Phone: (801) 972-1340 Fax: (801) 972-9381

Branch Hours:

7:00 AM - 5:00 PM (Monday - Friday)

The branches in Florida don't have that attitude.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth\'s aluminum foil beanie for the \'global warming\'
sheep.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I know the address but thanks alot for posting it here. I plan to call the manager on monday. I was told you can do small courtesy purchases without a business account but when i showed up they were rude as hell. I found a roll of the stuff there for approx $34 . I will see where I get with them monday. Thanks to all who responded

heres what i found.

shtml? from=Search&newSrch=yes&operator=keywordSearch&search_type=itemnum&action=Go%21 &QueryString=5w913

Reply to
GMAN

Wal mart sells it here.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

I drop into business supply outlets all the time for odds and sods. As long as they take cash they're not bothereed.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Cut up a vacuum cleaner bag.

--
Claude Hopper          :)

Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?
Reply to
Claude Hopper

Try

Go there and search for foam air filters, or just search for foam and scroll down to foam air filters. They have polyurethane open cell foam in thicknesses from 1/8" to 2" and various cell coarsenesses (is that a word?) Sold in 48" x 72" sheets. They even have a sample pack of different coarsenesses so you can choose which you like.

They accept credit card orders from anyone and their shipping prices are VERY reasonable. And shipping is QUICK!

If you just search for foam, you'll find LOTS of possibilities, but scrolling down to foam air filters will probably get you what you want.

-

Jim Adney