fewer through-hole transistors available

Was it PNP - could start with 2SA....

Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot

I regularly include SMD parts in dead-bug prototypes. With a bit of thought and planning they can reduce wire links instead of increasing them, they also tend toward adding rigidity to the assembly.

Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot

In the very early days, germanium transistors were epoxy potted - it wasn't very moisture proof.

They've been much better since hermetically sealed metal cans.

If you're used to silicon, the leakage on germanium devices is going to seem pretty dire anyway.

Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot

What I've harvested from scrap gear should last some time yet.

Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot

Sure, me too. I disagree about rigidity though. RN60C resistors are pretty rigid. ;)

I've recently done a mid-air proto using 0402s--like five in a row in mid air--but that was a 100-ps sampler, so it was worth the trouble. Ordinary dead bug is good to 1 GHz or so, and it's a lot easier.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs