Fender Frontman 212R amp, 2010

Yes, just out of warranty, even if in warranty little point in an exchange because the same would likely occur a year after that. Of course yet again recent made in China for USA and then export to here UK, so absolutely no mention of RoHs / PbF anywhere - anyone the definitive answer? I've not taken appart to the solder side yet.

aside [see this thread a week ago , uk.legal.moderated/title "failed / unrepairable goods - what are my options? (if any)" no mention of pbfitis there but PbF a likely cause. ]

This Fender - low level domestic use and failed to no output , no hiss or anything, during usual low volume use. Both // speakers are o/c , I suspect cutting into the dome of each will show the usual , these days, failed PbF at the tail/VC wire union. One must have quietly failed unnoticed and then the second , I don't expect to see burnt coils if I explore that far . Will of course check for o/p DC or ultrasonic but no reported magic smoke/smells or noise or signs of excess heat. The killer ;-( is the mains transformer is only hanging in there on a wing and a prayer - 3 of the 4 retaining nuts dropped off, fourth totally loose and primary tail mains-wire rubbing on the abrasive ceramic edge of a 5W W/W

Reply to
N_Cook

Only looked into one speaker so far, probably glue failure. Break where the axial line of the VC wire bends to the cone angle, not at joins to the pigtails. Fixable without going into the internal space, reconing, just the dome space. No VC former discolouration , VC measures 6.1R for 8R speaker Don't know what the markings mean , assumed cone of 1-20-09 was USA year date, sticker on basket had G5009062257 Q1

But the other on cone is 3-13-096 and G5009062253 Q1 ,so unlikely the same batch. Doubt he drove it enough to knock out the second one by overdriving, getting the same level as before - will explore next week

Reply to
N_Cook

Exact same problem inside other speaker, the change of angle at the cone and cylinder glue line, the other lead this time, again no overheating of VC. Have to assume this is a generic failing with all these Fender badged G....

12 inchers (only 2Kg each seem rather light) . Will bridge all 4 of these failure points with multistrabd stripped down hook-up wire through a needle hole in the cone. Definitely PbF solder on the speakers at least, unless coded in those G numbers no explicit reference to this. Amp solder not seen yet.
Reply to
N_Cook

Another failing on this Fender. Uses intermediary Al block between immediate o/p h/s plate and chassis. White goo on both surfaces is still as placed, not splurged out. Failure to fettle/de-burr the post machining raised rims around the machined holes so acting as thin washers so heat just going through the 3 bolts not body of Al.

Reply to
N_Cook