Fast acting fuses

I have a pair of JBL model CF120 speakers. Yesterday while listening to the system a ground wire came loose and the next thing I realized the right wo ofer was out. These speakers are protected by a couple of TC 2.5A fuses. On e of these fuses screws into a threaded holder, (and it was open) and the o ther clips into a two prong connector. Since I didn't have a small size TC fuse I swapped the good fuse into the threaded holder and I soldered, (pigg y backed) a 2.5A AGC type with pigtails onto the open TC fuse and clipped i t back into the socket.

So the TC fuse indeed protected the speaker, and I'm very grateful for that . I fixed the ground problem and until I can pick up the correct fuses this will work. However I was wondering if this TC type fuse is anything specia l? They are two different physical sizes but how does it compare electrical ly with an AGC type? In theory would AGC fuses be adequate protection for t hese speakers? I have boxes of them.

One interesting thing I thought I'd mention was that coming right out of ea ch speaker output on the amplifier there is a 2 amp MDX fuse that never ope ned. I know that the MDX is some type of time delay. Don't even know why th at was in there. I would appreciate any comments on this. Thanks, Lenny

Reply to
captainvideo462009

[...]

** JBL say the CF120 uses a 2.5 amp slo-blo fuse.

MDX are obsolete and replaced by MDL.

Lots of other options exist using T or TT fuses.

AGC is a fast type, same a F types and will bow too easily.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Here is a little page I wrote on fuses if anyone is interested:

Nothing on Polys though. Should update it I guess...

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

On Friday, February 27, 2015 at 2:37:58 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wr ote:

[...]

Thank you for including that page John and also the links. So I'm guessing as Phil has said that the AGC fuse will be the quickest to open, and may be somewhat of a nuisance, but will afford the circuit the highest amount of protection. I think that I can live with the occasional fuse blowing durin g those times I might feel like cranking the stereo up. Lenny

Reply to
captainvideo462009