Fake or substandard STK parts?

OK, here's the thing.

Genelec 8050A powered speakers use the Power Amp module STK 442-130. I have had 2 customers bring me 3 of these for repair.

First one, I got a pretty cheap STK 442-130 from Ebay. Here are some:

Trouble is it blew after a couple of days.

After posting here and showing some photos, it was deemed by some here that these Ebay ones are not the original Sanyo parts. Maybe not "fake" as such, but sub standard. My second customer said he'd taken his speaker to another repairer, and again the chip kept blowing for no apparent reason.

I have sourced 2 of these parts from the Genelec distributor HHB, at great expense, and have not heard anything back from the first customer, the second customers one is still going strong, so maybe these are in fact the "good" ones from the Genelec production line?

Unfortunately HHB will not sell these any more, but will sell the complete board at over £200.

So, does anyone have any definitive info on these chips, what they are, or what they are not?

Cheers,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Oh, and I should mention that the Genelec Bass Driver (which is the side of the chip that always blows, tweeter still works) is actually 4 ohms.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

I have had great luck with Dalbani on eBay. Pioneer hybrid outputs for example.

A customer blew his up again. Had no choice but to contact seller. They replaced it immediately at no charge and don't bother to send the "defective" back.

So I cracked it open, along with the original Pioneer part.

Absolutely IDENTICAL inside. Not a fake.

Defective customer.

Receiver functions to this day after a severe scolding on speaker wires etc.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

Ah, that looks promising - their Ebay shop lists both an "Original Sanyo" part and a "Generic" part for less money.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

have

sacat=0&_from=R40

that

such,

Can you be sure there is not ultrasonic instability develops in the preamp from a batch of duff caps used on the Genelec secondary supply rails say

Reply to
N_Cook

No, I can't be 100% sure of anything really, except the 2 speakers with the

2 devices procured from HHB appear to be lasting well.

I suspect the problem is substandard devices that are insufficiently specced to run a high power 4 ohm load without melting.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

4...

as

,

amp

he

ced

I will never do that again. I used to try to save money with questionable parts but after being burned a few times I will never do that again. You're better off to walk away from the job than try to save the customer a few bucks, (or whatever) at your expense. Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper