Extech AC/DC Clamp Meter Offset

I have an Extech 380652 that seems to work well in general but has an approximately 0.06 A offset in the AC Amps mode on the 20 A range.

The user offset adjust pot only works on DC Amps.

Does anyone know if any of the 3 pots inside are for the AC amps offset?

Thanks!

-- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Samuel M. Goldwasser

Not just extraneous pickup from building wiring maybe ? Probably not, but just a thought ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

The op should be lucky its down that low on AC.

I have an extech my self (different model), that seems to have a undocumented feature that appears to calibrate the AC mode of the clamp when I hold down one of the buttons for like 4 secs or more.

Reply to
Jamie

This is a pretty basic model, no buttons, only 3 slide switches.

And to Arfa's question, no not stray fields. :)

Thanks!

-- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Samuel M. Goldwasser

0.3% of FSD error? Isn't that quite good for this sort of device? One I have is quoted at +/-2%. Of course with a constant error there's always the temptation to sort it out.

But looking at the spec of that one, it's +/- 1.2%FS

--
*Avoid clichés like the plague. (They\'re old hat.) *

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't know if this is relevant but my original Amp Clamp will have an offset if the two ends that clamp together aren't perfectly clean.

Reply to
Meat Plow

If it were the clamp-on DC range, it would be good. But the AC clamp-on is just a transformer secondary. It SHOULD read 0 with nothing there! :)

-- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Samuel M. Goldwasser

If it were just a plain winding that might be so. But it has to open to allow fitting round a cable.

--
*INDECISION is the key to FLEXIBILITY *

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Same offest open or closed. This meter is in mint condition, no visible damage anywhere.

-- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites: