Exploding Duracell ProCell alkaline battery

Compliments of friend, we mow have a good example of what happens when one shorts the terminals of a 9V Duracell ProCell alkaline battery.

He mentioned that the battery sounded like a small firecracker when it exploded. The white debris scattered around the desk is probably the paper battery plate spacer material.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

That's interesting, they make 9 volts with 6 cylindrical cells. I remember taking 9V batteries apart in the '60s and they were a flat stack of rectangular cells

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey Angus

Once I thought it was safe to put 2 9 volts together...they started smoking and crackling in my pocket!

Reply to
Bob Villa

Those were carbon-zinc batteries.

I have a red laser pointer that uses overpriced AAAA batteries. Tearing apart a 9V alkaline battery provides me with a cheap supply.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

  1. Was this done on purpose?
  2. Do all 9v have AAAA inside?

My green laser pointer uses AAAA.

Meat Plow

"Jeff Liebermann Misinforms Again "

** An alkaline cell will not explode just because it's terminals are shorted.

But it very likely WILL explode if it is charged with a significant current - this is why there are warnings on all such cells against charging and installing them in reverse.

By shorting a 6 cell battery, the above rule was breached - cos soon as one cell became flat, the others began forcing charge into it at a very high rate.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

No. My friend lives in a small apartment and does everything on his desk. It's a huge mess, full of tools, parts, junk, and debris. He doesn't know exactly what shorted the terminals, because the battery bounced around the desk.

I don't know. I know that the cheap carbon-zinc 9V batteries do not have cells, but I suspect that the others qualify. I've torn apart a few others and found AAAA cells. There are many web pages and You Tube videos that show what's inside.

More:

Actually, they're not quite AAAA cells but are about 1mm shorter. I had to put a blob of solder on the + terminal to make up the missing length.

Someone posted a video claiming that you could get 32 AA cells from a lantern battery:

I'm borrowing a green laser that uses two AA batteries. Much cheaper to operate and lasts much longer. We were comparing green lasers (for dish antenna alignment) at the last radio club meeting. All present were allegedly 5mw green lasers, but there was a HUGE difference in brightness when pointed at the wall. The one I'm borrowing was the brightest. Everyone complained that they killed batteries quite rapidly. One of them would drastically reduce brightness after about

10 seconds. All of them got hot.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

A week or two ago, I ended up with several dead 9V alkalines and decided to scrap off the end piece with the connectors.

Both Duracell and Energizer have cylindrical cells inside. Duracell spotwelds them together with metal strap. Energizer just has a metal contact pattern with jumpers on a spacer and uses the metal outer case crimp to put pressure onto the cell contacts. My guess is that a 9V Energizer would be more likely to go bad if dropped too hard, but it's easier to get individual cells out of it.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

Which is exactly the reason we don't use Energisers in radio microphones!

Ron (UK)

Reply to
Ron