Equipment Protection from 240VAC

Hi,

The branch of a tree broke and knocked out the neutral wire to my sister's house. As a result, some of her expensive electronics equipment was damaged.

I know about surge protectors, but I want to buy a device/s (perhaps in a power strip) that creates a "short" (and blows a fuse) when the AC voltage goes above 180V.

Does anyone know where I can order it?

Thanks in advance, Brad

Before you type your password, credit card number, etc., be sure there is no active key logger (spyware) in your PC.

Reply to
Brad

Brad: Buy a power strip / surge protector..... what you described is exactly what they are designed to do.

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

sofie

Brad: What you described sounds like a good description of a surge protector. electricitym . .

Reply to
electricitym

Another told you to buy a plug-in protector. He did not say why. Instead, he only promoted classic myth.

Meanwhile, this post will use numbers. A broken nuetral means a voltage as much as but typically not close to 240 volts appears on your

120 volts. What will a plug-in protector do? It says right on the box

- let-throug voltage 330 volts. IOW it ignoreds voltages below 330 volts. It does nothing - remains just like an open switch - until the rare 330+ volt transient occurs.

Numbers above demonstrate why plug-in protectors do nothing. Then we add its joules rating that says the plug-in proetctor will save itself; leaving the appliance to fend for itself.

One of the important reasons why your building has dedicated earthing is so current can take another path. This particularly important because without that earthing ground, then current may even take an outgoing path via a gas line or other dangerous path.

How is your earth ground. Has your electric earthing been upgraded to meet (and also exceed) post 1990 code requirements? If not, then consider this to aleviate any future and more catastrophic failures.

And again, notice how many will not post like an engineer. Right there on the box is the number that says a plug-in protector would have nothing useful. Too many hear and believe myths rather than first learn technical facts. The plug-in protector would have done nothing. But your failure suggest you earthing mayt need inspection - and may need enhancement. At minimum, you AC electric earthing (and all other incoming utilities must connect to this) should meet post 1990 code requirements.

D> The branch of a tree broke and knocked out the

Reply to
w_tom

w_tom: Wow, aren't you something special and quite arrogant.... you are quite an engineer alright and we are all impressed !

Brad: Most MOVs in consumer grade surge protectors clamp at 140 to 160 volts.... and the better surge protectors will have 3 such MOVs that protect Hot to Neutral, Neutral to Ground, and Hot to Ground. .... and some of the better ones have MOVs with high enough ratings and fused in such a way that the MOVs will self destruct and/or the fuse will blow in an effort to "protect" the circuit. If better protection is required then a UPS with the proper rating will offer almost fool-proof protection. electricitym . .

Reply to
electricitym

w_tom: Wow.... we are all so impressed with your "engineering" knowledge.... and you are arrogant and pompous too.

Brad: Most consumer grade surge protectors have MOVs in them that clamp at

140 to 160 Volts. The better ones have 3 MOVs that protect Hot to Ground, Hot to Neutral, and Neutral to Ground. The really good ones have MOVs that have high enough ratings and are fused in such a way that they really do protect the equipment from most surge modes. If foolproof protection is required then maybe you should use a properly rated UPS. electricitym . .
Reply to
electricitym

Surely what's needed is an RCD device which will trip if there is any unbalance between line and neutral?

--
*A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hi Tom,

Thank you very much. You by far make the most sense. Unfortunately, many reply without much thought to the real problem.

Please ignore that one person who said you are "arrogant". I think he is jealous of your impressive reply.

I wish there were more technical pe> Another told you to buy a plug-in protector. He did not say why.

Reply to
Brad

First, RCDs such as used in UK, are not available in N America. In NA, they are called GFCIs or AFGI, and are located on branch circuits.

Second, an RCD, if doing anything, could only cure symptoms - would not solve the problem.

We know incoming electricity voltage was monitored long term and remained within 5%. We assume appliance damage is due to over voltage. Therefore many have accurately speculated that a loose neutral may exist.

What would the RCD do? Nothing. Excessive voltage would not cause currents to take a new path to earth - what is necessary to trip the RCD (GFCI). A loose neutral only means half the house has excessive voltage while other half has diminished voltage. Currents entering and leaving the building remains constant.

Second, an RCD still would not fix the loose neutral. Fix the problem; don't cure its symptoms.

But aga> Surely what's needed is an RCD device which will trip if there is any

Reply to
w_tom