Epson scanner returns blank scans

Epson Perfection 1670 used to work fine. Now when I scan a document (any document) I get a white page. The scanner responds to all commands from the software (it will preview and scan when tasked), and I've tried all different settings. I've tried different software, too (the Epson Twain software, and VueScan). No joy.

The FAQ at the Epson page for this scanner says that the scanner "may not work properly" if a USB cable other than an Epson cable is used. What cable should I use? I've been using one that I usually use for my Canon inkjet printer. The scanner has one of the square 4-pin USB connectors, and the cable is the flat 4-pin to square 4-pin ones.

Power supply "brick" is providing correct voltage.

Ideas?

Thanks,

--
John English
Reply to

Is the scanner lamp lighting ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 01:25:46 -0800, John E. Has Frothed:

So does it provide a correct preview of the document scanned?

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

If is wasn't, wouldn't you expect a *black* image rather than a white one? Besides, the OP says he does see a preview, and you can't make a preview if your lamp doesn't work.

--
Johan W. Elzenga           johanjohanfoto.nl
Editor / Photographer     http://www.johanfoto.com

Hello, John! You wrote on Sun, 11 Feb 2007 01:25:46 -0800:

If you can see a preview then the scanner is probably OK, the main issue will be software related. You are probably inadvertantly scanning a very small part of the document. You need to read the manual and discover how to change the area scanned.

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
3T39

Hello, 3T39! You wrote to John E. on Sun, 11 Feb 2007 15:00:28 -0000:

T> If you can see a preview then the scanner is probably OK, the main T> issue will be software related. You are probably inadvertantly scanning T> a very small part of the document. You need to read the manual and T> discover how to change the area scanned.

Thinking about this again, If you can't actually SEE a preview picture even though the scanner goes through the motions then the hardware may indeed be at fault. However if you DO see the preview image then it probably is software as I previously said. The usb connector is NOT an issue since there only two data lines and these must be OK if the hardware functions correctly .

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
3T39

Well, except that he has the same problem when with both the Epson software and VueScan.

I'd try scanning from another user account (creating a new account just for this purpose) and, if that fails, even trying it on another computer. And if _that_ fails, it's time to replace the scanner.

--
 Mac-themed T-shirts
 Mostly muckraking T-shirts

What operating system ?

Time to reinstall the device driver ? XP often has one already available btw.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Use the Epson cable.

It may have an inline device attached as do some iPod or camera devices.

Reply to
D. Kirkpatrick

No, he doesn't say that he *sees* a preview, he says that it carries one out - and also "scans" when tasked to do so. From this, I infer that he means that he hears it responding in the normal way in both cases, as the lamp carriage traverses the document bed. I am pretty sure that one I had some long time ago, just produced a blank scan when the lamp driver circuit failed, rather than a black image.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Shouldn't make a difference if it is a standard USB cable, but if a Epson branded one is available he should use it. John E., don't connect into a USB hub, go directly into the back of the computer.

Reply to
Jimmy

A bit of confusion. Sorry for miscommunicating at first...

No representation of the document appears on the screen -- only a blank, white window.

Bulb does light, and carriage moves the length of the scan bed when I click Preview or Scan. But no image appears.

OS X 10.3.9, and the drivers page on Epson site says the ones I downloaded and installed support this OS.

I'll try another computer, and then... we'll see.

I was just asking the USENET world to see if there was a common, simple solution (whap it upside the head...) or such.

Thanks,

--
John English
Reply to

Just for amusement, you might be interested to know that I just ditched my Epson all in one. I had one a couple of years back that had endless problems with the print heads clogging up. I like to leave my printer on all the time, so that when I need to print, I just click, and it's ready to roll - none of this waiting ten minutes whilst the thing determines if it's still alive, still connected, still has a driver installed, still has ink in it, still has paper in it and so on. Unfortunately, the Epsons don't go to sleep and park the heads, so if you don't print for 2 days, the stupid things dry out. Eventually, I got so angry with it that I went down to the store ready to buy a new HP, as these had always served me well in the past. I came away with another Epson that was such a good deal, and I figured that they had probably got it right on this newer all singing and dancing model. How wrong can you be ... I've put up with it clogging it's heads, using about a gallon of ink from ALL it's cartridges to perform a clean and many other foibles, for about 15 months, before drop-kicking it into next week, and this time, buying an HP as I should have done the first time. This product is superior in every possible way.

I have absolutely no faith at all in Epson products, or their technical support people, whom I would describe as space cadets at best, and my best recommendation, if your problem is not easily resolved, is to just go out and buy another from a different manufacturer.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I, too, had an Epson (850? 950?) with similar symptoms. Cleaned the heads right until they leaked (printed some red when you only wanted yellow) -- ironically the opposite of the original problem (clogging).

After that I bought the cheapest Canon I could find (iP3000 for $50US) and have been really happy with it. The non-US model of the Canon printers will print CDs/DVDs but due to patent arrangement only Epsons will do that here. But there is a hack to allow these US models to print now. Was that ever good news...

Am prepared for the worst, and will probably go buy a Canon LED scanner if it comes to it.

Thanks for your story.

--
John English
Reply to

Or try any other USB cable you have to see if that does the trick - if so, just buy a new cable.

Maris

D. Kirkpatrick wrote:

Reply to
Maris V. Lidaka Sr.

Years ago I had a similar problem and had to re-install the twain driver for the scanner. Somehow it had become corrupted in such a manner that it couldn't do anything other than give a preview image no matter what program I used.

If you haven't tried a re-install of the twain driver (I am assuming here that your scanner uses twain) it might be worth a try.

Reply to
Ron P

I have the same problem with my 1670. It was working fine less than two weeks ago but now in preview mode it returns a white page just as if I had no document on the scanner. I deleted the old drivers and software and re-installed but still same problem.

-- LDP

------------------------------------------------------------------------ LDP's Profile:

View this thread:

Future Hardware -

LDP

Thus spake LDP:

My 1670 went away with the recycle trash on Monday.

--
John English
Reply to

Thus spake Ron P:

Thanks for your reply.

I had reinstalled the latest drivers for it a couple of times. No joy.

The scanner is now probably disassembled into its component plastic bits in the recycle yard of the local community.

--
John English
Reply to

You could always Freecycle it - it might work OK on an older system

--
http://freecycle.org/

or

http://www.craigslist.org/