EPROM success!

The replacement circuit board arrived yesterday afternoon. I very carefully grounded myself as well as the new and old boards. Then, taking the care of a watchmaker, removed and inserted the 6 EPROMs. Upon firing up the machine NO MACHINE ERROR! Cool. Now I'm gonna buy an EPROM programmer and learn how to copy all the EPROMS in the machine. Thanks everybody for the good advice. Eric

Reply to
etpm

I always like a happy ending.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

What type of EPROMs are used? If from the 70s could be 2716s, 2532s,

2732s or possibly 2764s. Early 70s might be 1702As.

Not all programmers can read the early parts - 1702A, 2716, or 2532 so do check the number on the EPROM before investing in the wrong burner!

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

The EPROMs are the 2716 so I had better check. Thanks, Eric

Reply to
etpm

Keep your eyes out for a UV EPROM eraser. If you're ever gonna do anything with those bits you saved, you're gonna need one.

Reply to
mike

I don't suppose a UV LED would work, would it? Or what about leaving the EPROM in direcr sunlight for several hours? Thanks, Eric

Reply to
etpm

You need weeks in direct sunlight. And for the UV LED to work it would have to have a wavelength to be shorter than 400 NM.

UV sterilizer would work. Any UV source that warns you to never look at the bulb would likely work - the tube is not coated internally (clear glass) for UV erasers so the raw UV does the work.

Obviously do not look at the UV source, if it will erase EPROMs it will destroy your retinas.

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

also be aware that one manufacturer (I think Texas Instruments) made a 2716 variant that needed 3 supply voltages instead of only +5V as all the other variants. If I recall correctly, those where the TMS2716. So not all "2716" are made equal. I have several programmers that can handle the single supply 2716 and none that can work with the TMS2716 without an adapter to add the other power rails.

sunlight never worked in decent times for me (and also the part gets really hot most of the times). When I was really young and couldn't find a real UV tube, I had good success with "black light" tubes with exposures of a few hours or even regular fluorescent tubes with exposure of several hours. Real UV tubes are easy to find nowadays but never ever stare or look at them even for a few seconds. I recomend getting an EPROM eraser with a lock sensor that can cut the power when you open the lid. HTH Frank IZ8DWF

Reply to
frank

It was indeed TI who made the trip[e-supply TMS2761 - this was supposed to simplify upgrading from triple-supply 2708s. Didn't last long.

Then TI made the TMS2516 which was electrically the same as the Intel

2716. That was more successful.