Engine Management Units

So we can actually taste it. Have you drunk warm American beer? It's icy cold to hide the fact that it tastes bloody awful. QED.

:)

--
 (\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!

They don't appear to use hops for flavouring in N. America and Australia, so it's not really beer at all but 'malt liquor' to be more accurate. Young British men who don't know any better seem quite happy to drink such monstrous concoctions as Coors, Bud and Fosters because they don't know any better and fall for the flashy advertising and glitzy looking dispensers. The best beers in the world - proper beers - are brewed by the Belgians, the Czechs and the very best of all of course - the Germans.

Reply to
Gunther Heiko Hagen

Hmmm, very interesting. If they have GROWN out of the board, especially from the vias, then they have a really good chance of being conductive. And, maybe the ones across the TOP of the coating are no problem, but if there are some on the back side or under the coating, they could cause trouble. If the conformal coat has broken down, moisture and various contaminants could have gotten under it and started making conductive paths. If the controller depends on some high impedance circuitry, that could cause it to quit.

If these things are on TOP of the coating, then it should be easier to make a conductivity measurement. (But, yes, I see you say they are brittle.)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Indeed they are - very! Anyone who can come up with a method for establishing if they're conductive and if so, to what extent deserves a Nobel Prize, I reckon.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Going for the nobelprice then. :) Apply a very small drop of salt water to the tip of one of those out grows then one side of your ohmmeter to a ground and the other side gently touching the drop of water. If the whisker conducts, that should show up.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Thank you for that, Sjouke. I'll ponder this idea of yours as I can see some merit in it. the only problem AISI is these fibres are so tiny it's going to require a steady hand and a good eye - but I have neither! :( However, it's very late here now so I'll report back tomorrow with the results - *if* I can pull it off.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yep. I was thrilled when I went in a little off-the-beaten-track bar in a remote part of the Canary islands to find they had three chiller cabinets stuffed with craft Belgian and German beers.

Have my tickets booked for Oktoberfest :)

--
 (\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
(")_(")
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Far as I've seen, the latest change (20 yrs) was to a higher temperature enamel that is Brown. The change was made for electric motors because with VFD's they can run at higher temperatures. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Eye sight is what made me buy a "jewelers headband loop", feed that to google pictures to see one. :)

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Probably better to spell it "loup" if you want to do a search (though no doubt Google will suggest that)...

Mike.

Reply to
MJC

Yeah, I've got one with a little light in the centre; very useful! Still got rotten motor skills, though.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

If they are water soluble, you might just clean the whole unit in your dishwasher.

Depends on whether the aim is repair, or donation to science. If the latter - ship to mfr in sealed bag with note attached - expect no response.

RL

Reply to
legg

I won't be sending it back to the makers; like you say they're an ungrateful bunch. I'd like to power the board up and check for signs of life - see if that xtal's working and so forth. But in view of those growths it seems pointless unless I can get the back off and inspect the reverse side for further signs of it spreading. But I don't want to risk damaging it in the process. I'm not very good with practical things like that. They invariably take FAR longer than I expect at the outset - and then I get threatened with divorce. :(

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Also, it brings to mind patterns produced by spatter from a contaminated air hose jet.

RL

Reply to
legg

Then explain why Florida has started farming hops instead of oranges, in many places.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

For export, of course.

Reply to
Gunther Heiko Hagen

** America produces 28,000 tonnes of hops per year - practically all of it going into beer. Only Germany produces more, with 34,000 tonnes.

Thing is, they probably don't use enough of it in each barrel to suit you.

Small and craft brewers generally use a lot more malt and hops per barrel than the big commercial ones.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Wrong! They are being sold to micro breweries in the United States.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell