Eden Bass Amp

This one might not go well. For some reason at work I didn't get their webs ite in a search but the PCs are a little screwed up. I am working on that. Anyway, it has a 180 watt class D amp. Says "icepower" on it. ocme to find out that Icepower is a subsidiary of B&O. The amp board is integrated with the power supply and dubbed 50ASX2.

So I find Icepower online and their phone number in Illinois doesn't work. Their website has no "buy parts" or any of that, which is typical here. So I just keep looking ont the net for one and someone has them on eBay. Hundr ed bucks apiece though. I think the amp might bring $150. Problem is that i t already did that and now we gotta either fix it or trade the guy into som ething else. Or refund, which is really not the idea here.

One thing worries me about that board.

The board is burned where the red circles are. The one spot apears to be wh ere the power is supplied for the preamp and the other is where I believe i s the signal input from the preamp. This leads me to believe that a high po tential may have been places across the hot and cold sides, or something. I t is also a concern that I might have to fix the preamp, but with any luck that won't be all that bad. Couple of TL072s and all that, doesn't bother m e. (I didn't really look at that yet)

But y'all with the experience in music stuff and all that, should we just s hitcan the thing ? I'm not even completely sure what they're worth. I didn' t find any on eBay.

Now once the boss starts searching the web for that part he might be able t o do better than a hiundred bucks. I have sen him search. So if that happen s, fine I probably ifx the preamp.

Questions are thus :

Does anyone know where to get a deal on that amp/power board ?

Is such a design more vulnerable to power fluctuations or big ESD like ligh tning than a conventional design ? If so, maybe it is better to blow off th ese class D amps.

I think we are going to see more class D in this business because of the al lure of the no heat, no heatsink. Not to mention the efficiency. you know I am not afraid of class D amps, but this thing looks like a dman PCI cardd the way it is built. I ain't fixing that. We do not have the equipment for SMDs right now, and it is extremely small. What's more, the chips say "icep ower" on them so if any of them fry that is that probably. I think you can actually get "That" ICs, but I am sure about these, plus they are surface m ounts.

So are the outputs.

I don't like this really. If all the class D is going to be built practical ly unservicable like that I don't know what to do. I didn't learn all this shit to become a board jockey. I know sometimes there is no choice, but sti ll.

Maybe we should stock up on tubes and try to gravitate towards that.

Whatever. Opinions welcome. Anyone knows where to get a deal on those amp m odules I would appreciate it. If you tell me a hundred bucks is a good pric e, I'll have to consider that.

TIA

Reply to
jurb6006

bsite in a search but the PCs are a little screwed up. I am working on that . Anyway, it has a 180 watt class D amp. Says "icepower" on it. ocme to fin d out that Icepower is a subsidiary of B&O. The amp board is integrated wit h the power supply and dubbed 50ASX2.

** Here is a link to a supplier for US$99 with free delivery.

Here is another, but a bit more expenisve...

31618.htm

The sort of damage you describe can happen when a speaker lead is mixed up with an instrument lead and plugged into an input - of the same amp or anot her item.

If the sleeve of the jack plug is "hot", input ground tracks get blown open .

If the tip is hot, the voltage can find its way onto the DC rails of the pr eamp and do lotsa damage.

That IcePower module is tiny ( 4.3 x 3.1 inches) and lives inside a combo a mp - right?

... Phil

[...]

Phil Allison

** The Chinese made Eden EC210 uses such a module:

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

p with >an instrument lead and plugged into an input - of the same amp or a nother item. "

Well I did tell the boss "That amp did not blow itself". If thre guy did th at it will be time for some customer education or something.

en. "

Understood. Work on those big "BOOM mufuka BOOM mufuka" car amps ? Let the ground lead come a bit loose on that amp and BOOM is kinda the word. When t hat happens they get a letter printed explaining that if this happens again it will not be covered under warranty. Might have to do this in this case.

preamp and do lotsa damage. "

Well it could be hot with the output of a six hundred watt amp so yeah. But , it loks like the little fusible that supplies the preamp took a bad hit. should I assume the preamp is shorted ? Probably. Hopefully the thing has p rotection diodes and I don't have to change all the chips, hopefully just t he regu, wait, does it even have regulators there ? Hmm.

"That IcePower module is tiny ( 4.3 x 3.1 inches) and lives inside a combo amp - right? "

Yup. The smallest 180 watt amp I ever saw. Even other class Ds in that powe r range. It's been a while so I don't remember the makes or models. Of cour se that means the switchers probably weren't good enough to just use the co pper on the board as a heat sink. I seem to remember some of them using TO-

220s standing up with only their tabs for heatsink.

That link to eBay is probably the one I found. I would really like to get o ne cheaper because that approches what this thing sells for. These musician s are not wealthy I have found.

Reply to
jurb6006

** I posted no link for ebay.

The first link ( Classic Audio Parts) had them for US$99 inc delivery.

The second from Allied Express wanted US$3795 for the same item.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I used to work for Eden when there were two employees. I heard that David Nordschow sold out to a Chicago company called U.S. Music. They might have a parts department. Chuck

Reply to
chuck