easy way to calibrate audio frequency generator?

I have a Heathkit ET-3100 electronic design experimenter that has a very basic sine/ square wave function generator. Controls all analog and no scale really. Output is from 200 Hz - 2 Khz on "low" and 2 Khz to 20 Khz on "high". Exact frequency depends on where the pot is adjusted. How can I calibrate this to be more precise, preferably in a simple way?

Reply to
Tinkerer

Frequency counter. They have cheap Chinese kits on ebay that should give you readings close enough to what that generator would be used for.

Reply to
ohger1s

Tinkerer wrote: ==============

** Time to get a Digital Multimeter with a frequency range. Not crazy expensive and damn useful. Plus very accurate.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

y basic

scale really.

? Exact

s to be

Borrow a freq counter?

Reply to
gray_wolf

One of those cheap digital guitar tuners things might point you in the right direction ? (everybody knows somebody who plays the guitar)

I believe there are smartphone apps which display the frequency of the signal coming in to the microphone - whilst recording it. Theres one (of many) examples at

Or if you know anybody with Cubase (or similar) recording software you could get them to fire up the built in digital tuner tool and see it in glorious technicolor

AT

Reply to
Abandoned_Trolley

Cheap USB microphone, laptop, Audacity? (Audacity is free recording software with lots of extras, does frequency, etc)

Reply to
Tim R

Beat it with mains hum. This should work on the low range and at least part of the way up the high range.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

=-===================

** You need to explain that idea.

The OP seems to have no test gear or clue.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Great idea. I have Audacity. I could just play the audio output and either capture with mic or feed into soundcard and then see what it is in Audacity. I think that's what I'll do, although I like Phil's suggestion of a DVM with freq counter, been keeping an eye out for one.

Reply to
Tinkerer

Not sure what that means, unless you mean a harmonic of 50/60 Hz. It might be possible to beat by ear if the PC generates the tone and I adjust the generator until it matches by ear, but I think I'm just going to use Audacity and/or a DWM with freq ctr as suggested by Phil.

Reply to
Tinkerer

Google Online Music Tuner In the US the note A is generally considered

440HZ This one gives the frequency in Hz
Bennett

Speaking of which ... I believe some musicians are able to tune their instruments by using the dial tone from a landline as a reference.

AT

Reply to
Abandoned_Trolley

Abandoned_Trolley wrote: ======================

** But only after taking a huge dose of Meth first.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

If you have a PC with a decent sound card you don't need an audio frequency generator :-)

Reply to
bilou

Wiki says the dial tone is a combination of 350 and 440 Hz. That would be an F major chord, minus the fifth. I guess you could do that. Youtube had a 12 hour long recording of a dial tone. I just tried to tune a guitar A string to that, came out 3 cents sharp by my tuner. But my tuner hears the dial tone as an F. The youtube version sounds like a square wave to my ea rs though.

The 60 cycle power hum doesn't work, it is halfway between a Bb (58) and a B natural (62).

Reply to
Tim R

That's a great idea, but it probably mean FA to most people.

Musicians, on the other hand ... :)

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk  |    http://www.signal11.org.uk
Reply to
Mike

Doesn't mean much to musicians either.

Most of us don't have land lines.

Most of us do have cell phones and you can get free tuning apps on them.

Or you can get a decent electronic tuner for $20.

Those two things have made a huge difference in stabilizing a pitch center. Years back you never knew what pitch a band was going to have - might be

440, 415, 175, who knows? You had to be prepared to accommodate, and some instruments could only be tuned so far. Now amateurs don't play any better in tune, but they play out of tune around an agreed upon pitch, and that m akes it a lot easier.

What you hear on recordings is always autotuned. I don't understand how th at works, but it may be gradually training people to expect things to be in tune. Except Sailor Sabor, of course, who holds the record for the most o ut of tune National Anthem ever, at the CPAC 2021 last week.

Reply to
Tim R

** This link might be useful:

It's a variable frequency sine/square generator covering 1Hz to 20kHz with digital read out.

You can use zero beating if mixed with the output of your Heathkit unit.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Are you certain the problem is calibration and not really "resetability"?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Paul Drahn wrote: ================

** Having no scale on the dial guarantees both.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison