DVD Rewinder

Got in a pack of new clip leads. I can do alot of things with clip leads. They are a bench staple like the ends off of components, paper clips, various glues and potions.

OK, fairly nice set of leads.

THEY CAME IN AN ANTI STATIC BAG !

I want to call that company and ask if they have any DVD rewinders in stock.

Reply to
jurb6006

DVD rewinders are rare. Write only memory is rare too, but not rare enough. I have come across write only memory DVDs and that's what I use my DVD rewinder for. Eric

Reply to
etpm

They are a bench staple like the ends off of components, paper clips, vari ous glues and potions.

ck.

I'm forever stepping on the ones that fall off the bench unnoticed, and the y flatten almost completely (and I'm not overweight). Years ago, clip leads were heavy stamped steel or copper and much more durable. If you ever run across a source for these let me know.

How fast is the DVD rewinder?

Reply to
ohger1s

WOM is not that rare - the 25120 was designed by Signetics engineer John G 'Jack' Curtis back in the early 70s and included in their catalog:

John ;-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Ah, the background story to the WOM is here:

Fun read!

Yay Jeff Leiberman!

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

By alot do you mean not a lot the way atheist means not a theist?

The bag worked didn't it?

=-=- "Humans will have advanced a long, long way when religious belief has a cozy little classification in the DSM*." David Melville (*Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders)

Reply to
Heisenberg

I have a camcorder that uses standard beta cassetes.

=-=- "Humans will have advanced a long, long way when religious belief has a cozy little classification in the DSM*." David Melville (*Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders)

Reply to
Heisenberg

I was one of the winners in the applications contest. I later tried to specify a WOM in a design:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Anti-static bags don't work. I put one of my radio designs inside such a bag and all I heard out of the speaker was the same old static.

I like the DVD rewinder, but can't you just insert the CD upside-down and play it again to rewind it?

You really need anti-static bags for protecting clip leads. Atmospheric electricity increases at the rate of about 30 volts/ft[1]. If you're 6ft tall, there should be 180 volts between your head and your toes. If you bridge this voltage with one of your new clip leads, it will surely create a spark. With the typical low quality of Chinese clip leads, that would probably blow the wire as if it were a fuse.

[1] "...the potential, aka 'voltage', increases with altitude at about 30 volts per foot (100 V/m)..."
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I think that voids the warranty on Sonys and a couple of other brands.

Reply to
jurb6006

I can insert a DVD upside down in my laptop to write the label.

=-=- "Humans will have advanced a long, long way when religious belief has a cozy little classification in the DSM*." David Melville (*Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders)

Reply to
Heisenberg

Heisenberg wrote: "- show quoted text - I can insert a DVD upside down in my laptop to write the label.

You actually got that "Lightscribe" thing to work?? Stuck a disk in my tower, configured the label the way I wanted it, hit "OK", waited a half a friggin HOUR, no status on the screen, no sounds from the CD/DVD disc DRIVE, eject - blank label. Never bothered with it again.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Not at all, actually. Just buy a cheap USB memory stick from Ebay. Fill it up with data and then try to read it back. You will notice that most of its rated capacity is write-only.

--
RoRo
Reply to

Seems to be some smart people here. I need to learn how to empty the /dev/ null device.

I have lots of scripts that that write to it and I suspect it needs emptied.

Any help?

Reply to
Jim Whitby

Practically any TTL or CMOS chip except flip-flops are WOMs.

Reply to
Ian Field

Some types of anti static bag defeat the security tag detectors in shop doorways.

The motivation behind making them so readily available is anyone's guess.

Reply to
Ian Field

I used to have a job clearing the dead cowboys out of TV sets.

Reply to
Ian Field

I only tried it once and the result was not worthwhile.

=-=- "Humans will have advanced a long, long way when religious belief has a cozy little classification in the DSM*." David Melville (*Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders)

Reply to
Heisenberg

Yesterday I had to go through a metal detector to get into the court house. Even had to remove my belt so the buckle would not set it off.

Got me to thinking that iron and steel effect radio tuned circuits one way and brass and maybe some other materials affect it the other way.

Could someone have say a knife with a steel blade and an matching amount of brass go through the detector with out setting it off ?

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Got in a pack of new clip leads. I can do alot of things with clip leads. They are a bench staple like the ends off of components, paper clips, various glues and potions.

OK, fairly nice set of leads.

THEY CAME IN AN ANTI STATIC BAG !

I want to call that company and ask if they have any DVD rewinders in stock.

Many things I buy from Farnell now comes in anti static bags, regardless of the vulnerability of such goods to static.

I suspect the cost of this packaging is less than the cost of the litigation of not providing goods in this packaging, and then having to deal with spurious/bogus claims of static damage.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis