DVD repair question

OK, went out for some brews last night. Person asks me about a Combo DVD/VCR player she bought for her grandchild - not sure when - but from her manner of speaking - not long ago.

According to her - the VCR works fine - DVD either gives a huge "exclamation" type sign in the middle of the screen will play the DVD on a "split screen" type of display. Both screens - showing the same thing - like watching the same movie on movie screens/TVs - side by side - but scrunched up.

My first impression is to clean the lens/mechanism to see if that corrects it. My second - "maybe" out of alignment. Not sure where to go from there. I'm awaiting her to get back to me on a make and model OR drop it off.

Any ideas up front of where I can go assuming those two aren't the case - OR - am I even on the right track?

Reply to
radiosrfun

Sounds more like some kind of sync problem than dirty/damaged lens.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

...and if bought recently, needs to go right back.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Very definitely !

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

For the split screen issue, might it be set for progressive scan?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Well, without the "brews" - I'll have to ask her "when" she bought it! I didn't get to that - had like 5 people trying to talk to me at once.

Reply to
radiosrfun

Don't know - I've got to get in touch with her again to see what the deal is. I told her to get back to me on it. No call today!

Reply to
radiosrfun

Thanks for your input as well - Baron!

Reply to
radiosrfun

Sounds to me that it's set for progessive scan playback, not interlaced. Seen it before.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

I'll "probably" have to make a trip to her place to check the settings. There's always tomorrow!

Reply to
radiosrfun

...'to someone who knows what they're doing' is where i would recommend- if you go tinkering, you will screw it up even more. This is nothing to do with lasers and alignments, it is likely a setup issue.

-B

ts

e.

(couldn't resist this one...)

"

If he's making a trip to her place, it sounds to me like he knows what he's doing!!!

Reply to
Mr. Land