DVD repair question

I have a DVD player here - most likely not worth repairing - given todays prices - but it belongs to my grandkids and it is a "Batman" oriented design.

Now - first of all, it's had a history of the littlest one stuffing a "few" dvds in the slot. Each time, I took them out - player worked ok.

This last time it was brought to me, it wasn't playing at all. First of all, I noticed - but not sure of the issue - which I'll get into "second" - that the mechanism wasn't bringing the laser to the DVD. I manually corrected it - then seen it wasn't playing that way either. I cleaned the player with some DVD/CD cleaner supplies - and it is now playing "that" way. The second issue which I corrected manually for the testing purposes is - the DVD goes in - door shuts - the mechanism is supposed to come up injecting the spindle into the DVD to rotate it and also place it in range of the laser - it is not doing that. If I push it up "manually" - all works well.

Now - I've started to look at it albeit need some better lighting than where it was. I'm not sure "yet" - if it is of a mechanical issue, electrical or combination as to the cause of this problem. I started to look at it - got away from it for a few days due to other work - but was in the process of checking the mechanics. Not having a schematic on this, what is the probability that an Electronics component "could" be faulty? I mean - so far - the mechanics "seem" ok - but still checking. IF I can run this down to even a "board" - there are only like 4 sections to this, maybe if I can't narrow it down to "a" part - I can order the "board" or Mechanism. Most is pretty much plug in and screws holding it down.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of issue? I've never had to do a DVD/CD repair other than cleaning - before now - to really know the "inner" workings. So, it is going to be a learning experience for me - in this regard.

Model # KSM6002

Aside from a DC Comics label affixed - the only name I see on it is - Kids Station Toys International. It has a Customer Service Number listed on it - but I'd rather reserve that call for any parts - rather than tech information as we all know how those calls can go - sometimes. I hate battling my way through scores of people who don't understand the problem only to be forwarded to someone I can't even understand (bad English).

Reply to
radiosrfun

**Budget DVD players are usually throwaway items. Normally, you will replace the entire laser and associated mechanism. Called 'the loader'. Unless you can find a donor mechanism from another cheap player, you will probably need to buy an OEM part. Naturally, you should check power supplies, as electros are a common failure mode.

Trevor Wilson

Reply to
Trevor Wilson

And, if it uses a rubber belt in the loading mechanism, a worn or broken belt could prevent it from going into the reading position.

My guess based on the history of this thing is that it is a mechanical problem from abuse.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

The most common things for the mech failing to come up under the disc correctly, are either misalignment of the mechanics, which usually means that the tray rack has slipped a tooth or two on its drive gear, which is usually related timing-wise to some kind of cam or anular gear that handles the deck lifting, or a slipping belt. Normally, if it is a timing issue, you will never get the deck to come up and lock, even if you try to help it. On the other hand, if the deck does come up when helped, then that is almost certainly a slack drive belt issue, assuming it uses one. When the motor has to crank the weight of the deck up, after the relatively easy task of sliding the tray back in, this brings the drive train under a lot of load, and that is exactly when the belt slips. With direct drive systems, I have had a similar problem caused by weak drive to the motor, but if that turns out to be the case here, you might struggle to locate the cause without schematics.

As an aside, your observation that the laser was not homing, is probably as a result of the loading sequence not completing. When the deck comes up into place, a switch is made, which tells the system control micro that it can start the disc evaluation procedure, the first part of which is to check that the laser is home, and if not, to drive it there.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Thanks gentlemen for your replies, I shall attempt further inspection of the unit this week. To address one mans concern - I fully realize this may not be worth repairing - price wise - I mentioned that in my initial post. But it is the grandkids - so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Thanks to all for your replies.

Lou

Reply to
radiosrfun

Knowing that children use it and the "littlest one" innocently causing some hardship on the mechanics my educated guess is that the mechanism is out of alignment. Get it in some bright light, put on your reading glasses and get familiar with how the mech works, drive belt or worm drive whatever is there. It's not that complicated if you are handy with a screwdriver.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Therein lies the problem - got to put er in some "bright" light. Trying to see what is going on in dim light - doesn't help! But - thought I'd tap the resources of those of you here for some additional ideas, being this is my first "internal" DVD repair.

Reading glasses? Hells fire - I wear glasses and see that stuff better with them "off". Even the bi-focals don't help. But whatever it takes, we'll give er another glance.

Thanks!

Reply to
radiosrfun

I don't know if you have a Maplin store near to you (you sound like you're UK), but if so, you might like to get yourself a white LED. I have a couple of these on the bench, one set in the end of an old Biro pen tool, and one just soldered and sleeved to a pair of stout-ish wires. I connect them externally to a set of NiCd batteries from an old cordless phone.

Those white suckers burn so bright, that I find them endlessly useful for looking inside mechs, just as you are trying to do now. The one on the Biro pen body, can be slid in where you can get straight in, and the one just on wires, can be manouvered around 'corners'. Don't forget to check the specs of any white LED that you get. They need a bit more voltage to drive them than reds or greens etc. Also make sure that you limit the current.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

No Bud, I'm in the U.S. and no Maplin Store here. But, if I look around, I might have some of the LEDs floating around. I'll have to look and see. Never thought of something like that. I use something else at current on my bench, but I want to give that a whirl to see if it can help. If nothing else, it might flood the immediate area - whereas my other method may not. Thanks!

Reply to
radiosrfun

Nothing beats lots of light and a comfortable, clutter free working environment free of interruptions. You should be able to remove the mech from the chassis. Do that so you can get a good 3 dimensional view of all the workings and manipulate it manually as if it was loading/unloading a disc.

Reply to
Meat Plow