dual capstan cassette deck tape curling problem

Hi!

I have a problem with dual capstan cassette deck - some tapes get curled just before supply capstan. It happens only during first 1-2 minutes at the very beginning of a tape. The tape is damaged. It happens for let say 2 out of 30 tapes. The tapes are good, there were no problems with them for many years they were played back on various cassette decks and players. For some tapes there are moments they are sounding as if they were squashed earlier, although they never have been. I have noted it on prerecorded tapes. Tape length seems not to influence the problem - 120 minute tape is played back correctly.

I have tried to adjust depth of the supply pinch roller, but I was unable to adjust it so all cassettes could be played without the problem.

The second dual capstan deck I have bought have the same problem, but with different tapes.

Was it a common problem for dual capstan decks? What would you advise me to do to fix it?

-- regards, przemys³aw ho³ubowski.

Reply to
p.h.

"p.h." wrote in news:frta5i$fck$1 @atlantis.news.neostrada.pl:

It sounds like the capstan and/or pinch roller may not be parallel to each other and perpendicular to the base plate of the player. Perhaps a screw is loose somewhere? Perhaps some of the bearings have become worn, allowing one of the shafts to change the alignment.

Make sure that none of the mechanisms are bent or badly worn.

Look for excessive movement for any part of the mechanism.

See if the vertical position of the tape in the cassette and of the cassette itself, makes a difference.

--
bz    	73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

bz+ser@ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu   remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Reply to
bz

Hello,

The first thing I'd suggest to check it both the take up torque and the back tension (hold back) torque. This require the proper gauge, and knowing the factory spec for your machine.

I've also seen deteriorated pinch rollers cause all sorts of problems, as the rubber gets harder with age and does not conform to the capstan shaft as it should. Serious head wear can also contribute, as it reduces the pressure of the head against the pad in the cassette and somewhat changes the tape path.

If there are serious grooves in the heads from wear, then you can no longer adjust the head block, as moving the head with groves in it will likely cause tape edge damage. Even peaking the azimuth can cause problems.

Adjusting the heights of things is the last thing I would have tried, as it usually causes more problems than it cures, and it is very difficult to get things back to where they were.

I'd start with the torques. If you post what you find, please include the make and model of your deck.

Regards, Tim Schwartz Bristol Electronics

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

You need a mirror tape to check the tape path and the alignment gauge plate to align the entire tape path. TEAC still selling the alignment gauge for $2000.

Reply to
Eric

Thank you very much guys. I appreciate your help.

I've managed to fix the problem. The first dual capstan deck was Sony TC-K690 and the second one, the one I still have, is Sony TC-K750ES.

In both decks I've cleaned rollers and heads immediately after first turning them on. I've used salicyl alcohol and plastic sticks encovered with cotton wool. After that I had started using the decks and found problems with tapes curling I have mentioned before.

Just a few days ago I have noticed that supply pinch roller of the TC- K750ES I still have has white spots on the outer side, so I have cleaned that roller once again. As I wasn't able to clean it using salicyl alcohol alone I have carefully used nail-file.

After that I have tested how the deck's mechanism behaves on the problematic tapes and found out that the problem disappeared.

I don't know what formed the white spots; maybe they were formed by salicylates(?) I have cleaned the roller one more time, but this time using isopropanol to ensure there won't be any further surprises.

I think it would be a good idea to replace both pinch rollers as their surface has microscopic cracks.

Anyhow - I am glad it works now.

Reply to
p.h.