DTV-306 No horizontal sweep

This RCA DTV306 38" direct view wide screen HDTV powers up with HV, CRT heaters lit and both fans running as soon as its plugged in. The power button turns the power light on and off, but there's no other noticeable effect. Turning up the G2 control reveals a sharp vertical line about 4" long. There's zero horizontal sweep. It never goes into shutdown. There's no sound, but without seeing a picture, there's no way to tell if there should be any sound.

It appears to have had the standby power supply diode upgrade and I've checked for obvious things like bad soldering, shorted HOT, swollen caps, cracked PCB,... The standby power supply is working and there's about 75v on the C of the HOT. There's no horizontal drive. Before I do anything else, has anyone seen this problem before? I realize this is a very complex chassis, but I would rather not buy a service manual if I can avoid it. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

No sound could be the T.V. is switched on video input. Check the two wire connectors in the pincushion correction circuitry, & for a bad high voltage capacitor @ 400 volts, or up to 1000 volts, depending on the unit. No horizontal drive may be due to something bad further into the output stage, & causing "shut down" of the drive signal from the "jungle IC". Also check the horizontal drive coil. 75 volts is too low @ the horizontal output, & MAY be the area to look for a "load" on the output stage, could even be the flyback. Rono.

Reply to
Rono

This isn't a normal TV, it's far more complex than most TVs. From what I've read the voltage on the HOT is actually running a little high (probably because of no load). It has separate horizontal and HV circuits. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Reply to