Does Fiber Modem need to be near fuse box

I had long figured I would have to pull a line from my phone nexus to near the fuse box to connect to fiber modem. Phone nexus is in laundry room which has plenty of power. Someone told me I can just plug in the fiber modem in the laundry (and HVAC) room, which also conveniently has conduits with wires going in and out of the house that I can bring the fiber line into. I know installers just love to prove they can drill though just about any wall, but I'm really no that keen about letting them.

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

There is no specific requirement for placing the fiber line near the box at all. It usually happens that way because of the location of the phone lin es as well as power. In most cases, both phone and power enter the buildin g at the same point (different holes though). Since both lines come from t he same pole, they usually get to the house at the same point. I would exp ect that the fiber will get to the house at the same point too. All that i s required is power for the battery charger. The fiber to Cu interface req uires power and has a 12V battery backup which is a lead-acid battery conti nually charging. As long as there is power, most installers will allow for installation where you request.

Dan

Reply to
dansabrservices

The only potential problem I could foresee is the allowable bend radius of the fiber.

Usually, Phone, TV and power should all be earthed together at the same point. Fiber isn't conductive, so you should be good.

I live in a house where phone and power are not next to one another. Power travels to the middle of the house under the eve. Phone terminates just outside. The cables are nearly parallel, but separated, as they come overhead.

Reply to
Ron D.

My neighbor's computer is on the opposite end of the house from the power meter/fuse box. Frontier FIOS spigot is closest to the computer. I discussed the installation with the scheduling guy and agreed to put the box near the computer. Days later, they were digging up the ground routing the fiber

100 feet across the yard to the power meter area.

I challenged them and they said it was a REQUIREMENT. I resisted. They were packing up to leave when I insisted they call the guy who scheduled it. Turns out it wasn't a REQUIREMENT and they put it where we wanted it.

Reply to
mike

Thanks all