Do you have the electronics skills to design a good home made smoke machine?

glycol-based or glycerin-based fluids or through the atomization of mineral oil. "

Which is poisonous to the catalytic, and may have a deleterious effect on t he MAF if you go directly into the air intake. Newer diesels MIGHT have a M AF so we are back to the ether. I think it is still less than four bucks a can, which should be enough to troubleshoot the intake system on about ten cars if you know what you're doing.

Reply to
jurb6006

is pumped INTO the system, with the engine not running - under a low pressure to force it OUT through the leak."

Yeah you could brush up bit as well. It must be tested with the engine run ning. When you shut it down at east ONE intake valve will be open and the o dds are good that it is during valve overlap, which is quite long in modern engines. Odds are even better that two intake valves are open and it will go in one and out the other.

Reply to
jurb6006

cook on."

I saw o mention of it being a diesel. If the OP doesn't know or lacks the p resence of mind to include that information I give the f*ck up. Take it to someone who knows what they're doing then.

There is no accounting for stupidity though, you know you ask many people i f they bought or leased their new of fairly new car they actually don't kno w. Yes, even though I walk through the valley of stupidity that one took me slightly aback... I mean seriously, don't LET them people try to change th eir own tire.

Reply to
jurb6006

I would be surprised if there were a mother involved in either case.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote on 12/16/2017 6:53 AM:

Think about what you wrote. If you run this test with the engine running, there is a vacuum on the intake and smoke won't exit through any leaks. Instead the leaks pull air into the tubing. So how would any smoke at the intake be leaked to show the defect?

--
Rick C

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

Think about what you wrote. If you run this test with the engine running, there is a vacuum on the intake and smoke won't exit through any leaks. Instead the leaks pull air into the tubing. So how would any smoke at the intake be leaked to show the defect?

I suggest you look up "invincible ignorance".

At the same time, the longer this individual remains off the road, the better it will be for anyone forced to share that road.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

I haven't seen one on topic word from you on this thread. Perhaps you should look up "troll"?

--
Rick C

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

No, I exhausted my good will on the other thread.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

That's a trash UK newspaper website fishing with link bait.

A supporting quote from National Enquirer on your side of the pond would carry the same weight ...

--
Adrian C
Reply to

That doesn't mean you need to reply at all.

--
Rick C

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

Yup

--
Tekkie
Reply to

snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com posted for all of us...

This mutant original poster (not you) doesn't do any research so when you used that word it is out of his league.

--
Tekkie
Reply to

No shortage of supporting evidence.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Where I live has the highest concentration versus population of Prius cars in the USA. At least it did a while back. So even though population density here is low I still see a lot of Prius models. And boy do they tend to drive slow. When they first came out a friend of mine bought one and he showed me how you could use the display in real time to modify your driving technique to attain the best fuel economy. So I took his car out for a spin on some deserted back roads and had some fun getting the best fuel economy. Part of that means accelerating slowly and driving slowly. I'm on an island and lots of drivers think they can drive as slow as they want on 55 MPH roads because "This ain't the mainland, so slow down". Prius drivers seem to have really taken this attitude to heart. Lots of the time there will be a twenty or more car line going 40 MPH on the highway with either a Prius or an old pickup in front. Lately I have been seeing more of the former. GRRR. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Find a few hippies and buy them a couple ounces of marijuana. There will be lots of smoke......

You cant rent smoke machines like bands use on stage, at a music store or theatrical supplies place. PRobably wont cost all that much to rent for a few hours....

Reply to
oldschool

... that the language of advertising bait exists and works.

--
Adrian C
Reply to

I thought I would let this fester for a bit in the hopes that our multiple personality cretin might actually try something and, thereby, learn something. No such luck.

a) Anyone actually considered the essential idiocy of using a smoke machine to find a vacuum leak? b) And, once past that hurdle, running the same in a partially enclosed space for 30 minutes? c) And once past that second hurdle, actually determining anything useful?

Anyone who has ever worked in or watched from the side-lines in a professional shop, or listened to Car Talk, Car Pro or any of several similar options knows how to find a vacuum leak, quickly, accurately and with a minimum of mess.

All it takes is a propane torch, a soft rubber hose, and a narrow metal nozzle.

Connect the hose to the torch nozzle such that the propane is directed into the hose. Put a small metal tube at the end of the rubber hose to direct the propane into a small area. Turn the torch on low (don't light it, of course). Run the nozzle all over the various potential locations while the vehicle is running. The engine will rev when it sucks the propane into the vacuum leak. Mark with keel, turn off torch. Done.

And, one is not releasing sufficient propane as to worry about fire or explosions, using a tool probably right at hand.

Guys and gals, this is pretty basic automotive diagnostics. Why re-invent the wheel using some claptrap kludge of dubious utility?

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Sounds like my method but with propane. One note though, sometimes the idle control is so good it will not rev up. That is why I disconnect the IAC. Sets a code but gives a more conclusive indication.

Reply to
jurb6006

And the smoke can damage the catalytic convertor. His money, and not like a $46 one either. High performance foreign catalytic convertors are expensive.

Reply to
jurb6006

Anything that keeps it off the road is good. But, what are the odds that there is nothing but a bit of pipe where the converter should be?

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw