Do they sell a gauge to measure Coaxial Power Connectors?

Do they sell a gauge to measure Coaxial Power Connectors?
AKA  "barrel connectors".

I can get close using a ruler on the outer part of the plug, but those
pins inside are near impossible to measure.

There are so many variations of them too.

Someone must have some sort of gauge to measure them....

Re: Do they sell a gauge to measure Coaxial Power Connectors?
snipped-for-privacy@tubes.com says...

Sort of. I either use one of a set of matching sockets or small lengths
of fine tubing. Sockets are easier to measure using fine twist drills
which are typically sold in sets...

Mike.

Re: Do they sell a gauge to measure Coaxial Power Connectors?

outer dia: micrometer, drill bits, nails
inner dia: drill bits, small nails/pins,

NT

Re: Do they sell a gauge to measure Coaxial Power Connectors?

Sharp calipers are okay for both.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

calipers are good if the points are relatively sharp and they line up, neither was the case for the device linked to, nor is for most other cheapie vernier calipers.

NT

Re: Do they sell a gauge to measure Coaxial Power Connectors?

Sorry to hear you can't tell the difference between crap tools
and ones that work.
Or that you can't even get good tools to work.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

sorry to hear you like to be childish

Re: Do they sell a gauge to measure Coaxial Power Connectors?

Sorry, I don't believe being accurate is childish.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

I have a couple of Mitutoyo ones that work great and weren't expensive.
Chinese ones are good for scribing circles on copper or aluminum and
other such jobs that might hurt the good Japanese ones. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

My vernier calipers are Mitutoyo.
My Dial calipers are Starret.

I have a couple of the absolutey cheap plastic ones.
Those are for telling the difference between English and Metric
hardware in the "oh boy" bucket.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Are you sure that your Mitutoyo calipers are not a counterfeit?
<

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mitutoyo+caliper+fake

I gambled and bought a Mitutoyo Digimatic 500-196-20 for $35.  It was
a fake.  After cleaning out the shavings from the guts, removing the
burrs, and squaring the jaws so that they were parallel, I did
something that blew up the electronics.  Sorry, no photos.

Re: Do they sell a gauge to measure Coaxial Power Connectors?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mitutoyo+caliper+fake

Well, I bought them some years back from an actual Mitu distributor, so
I'm pretty sure they're real.  No swarf, no detectable parallellism
error, no noticeable offset between depth gauge and ID/OD blades, good
battery life, nice case.

My cheap 'n' cheerful Chinese ones are actually quite OK as well.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

None that I've found.   The parts that are hard to measure, I generally just
give up and buy a few score of each nearby size.   At a PPOE,
we kept notes on 'hits' when an important failure-prone connector matched
something we could order (didn't happen a lot).

If it were time-critical (and I couldn't find a junker adapter to clip a
pigtail from), I've got drill bit shanks down to #60 (~1mm), and modeling
clay, and a measuring microscope.   The thing is, even if I DID measure
accurately, the 'nominal' sizes of commercially available mates would
still be a mystery.   So, it's easier to keep a divider-box of a dozen sizes
of the males/females, with annotation as to what to reorder.

Re: Do they sell a gauge to measure Coaxial Power Connectors?
snipped-for-privacy@tubes.com wrote:

------------------------

** These measure ODs and IDs.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8-0-200mm-0-02-0-001in-Vernier-caliper-paquimetro-stainless-steel-micrometer-beamcallipers-gauge-measuring/32233906118.html

....    Phil

Re: Do they sell a gauge to measure Coaxial Power Connectors?

but are very inaccurate when measuring small diameter internal holes such as barrel connectors. Try it & you'll see why.

NT

Re: Do they sell a gauge to measure Coaxial Power Connectors?

I use a dial caliper. I've never had any problems.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Re: Do they sell a gauge to measure Coaxial Power Connectors?
Nick Cat wrote:

----------------

** For accuracy, I use small & PCB drills as feeler gauges.

  Which had been posted here already....

....  Phil

Re: Do they sell a gauge to measure Coaxial Power Connectors?

Those are nice.
In addition to the standard vernier calipers, I have the dial type.
So much easier to read.
They are also available now with LCD displays.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

I don't know how you'd measure after it went through a crimp-tool.

Re: Do they sell a gauge to measure Coaxial Power Connectors?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

** Huh ??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_power_connector

I've always called them "DC plugs" so folk know what I am talking about.

....  Phil

Site Timeline