Do new convergence boards come with two new IC's already soldered?

Hello. I have the typical convergence problem with my big screen tv. I have a Samsung HCM4215W, and am looking at this site to get my replacement convergence board (AA95-02002A $65)

Partstore.com

I was just wondering though, do brand new convergence board's come with two new (good?) STK IC chips already soldered onto them? I would hate to buy a whole new board, only to find out I still need to buy two new IC chips. Do you guys think this board will come with them?

Thanks!

Reply to
yazandtony

Board should have the STK IC's in it. A lot cheaper just to buy the IC's. Is the board blown up? I only replace the IC's, & check low value resistors close to the IC's. Sky.

Reply to
Skype_man

Normally the boards come with everything, but that seems very cheap.

Reply to
James Sweet

Not if you buy them from Samsung. They price a pair of chips at or above the price of the board. If you use a good supplier you can get the Sanyo chips much cheaper.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Hey James, did you check out the site Partstore.com? Is $65 too cheap for a convergence board with two new IC's? Why is it cheap? They listed an alternate part # for $70 but the one being recommend by a few people is the one I got.

And from reading around, it seems in my case, its just better to get the whole board replaced, rather than just getting two new IC's, in case any caps, resistors, etc, have blown. Plus, I don't know how to solder :)

Thanks guys!

James Sweet wrote:

Reply to
yazandtony

Samsung's price for these convergence boards is very low, relative to the rest of the industry. Normally, techs will repair them rather than replace the boards because we will often have the parts in stock and it is no big deal. If you bought the chips from Samsung, it would cost as much as the board. You can buy the parts for half that or less from good suppliers like B&D, Acme, or Electronica and get the same Sanyo chips. You can also buy them from other suppliers even cheaper and maybe get a part that works or maybe get one that blows up. In your case, just buy the board, but understand that you will need the service literature to align the set properly. You will likely have some convergence error with the new board. Don't even try to go through the alignment without the manual.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Thanks Leonard :)

Or do they just stick with cheap IC's and parts? It says the manufacturer was Samsung, so it seems legit. Your opinion?

I do know a little bit about the Samsung service menu, and the convergence menu and stuff. I've read up a lot about it, and before it broke down, I wrote down my orginal settings (I hope they were the original) in the service menu, and I know my way around the convergence menu as well.

If there are any alignment problems, will they be fixable via the service and convergence meu? In other words, I won't have to tool around the back of the tv, would I?

Reply to
yazandtony

You should be able to do what you need in the service menu convergence adjustments from the remote. If you know how it works you should have no problem. If you are not very familiar with it, it could be nearly impossible, as I am sure you realize if you have aligned it previously. It is not very intuitive and IMO is one of the most difficult systems on the market.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Ok, thanks for the tips and advice Leonard.

Reply to
yazandtony

I am the one with 9 of these sets with the same problem . We ordered 4 new chips and it fixed 2 sets . I tried the fixed board in the other 7 sets and they all worked .

Fix that tv and GET RID OF iT !

Reply to
Ken G.

Yeah, I know Ken :) I replied and asked for some help in the topic you started a while ago here, but no one ever answered the question I had, so I just started a new one. Your post actually helped me get in the right direction, so thanks a bunch :)

Ken G. wrote:

Reply to
yazandtony