DLT7000 LED flash POST error codes

Hi!

I have a rather old DLT7000 drive that is part of a compaq TL881 tape library. When the drive is powered up the drive beeps four times quickly, pauses, and beeps one long beep. The "Write protect", "Tape in Use" and "Use cleaning tape" LEDs flash, and the "operate handle" LED stays on solid. Also, the handle release solenoid clicks as well, but no other movements.

I've taken the top off the drive, and checked for a dropped leader, the leader is in good shape.

I assume the flashing LEDs are an indication of some sort of error, is there anyone here who might know what the error is?

Thanks!

-Rick

Reply to
hemiguy1977

Damn, I don't have my copy of the manual on this machine, or I'd send you a copy.

You can download it from Quantums website:

They also have diagnostic software, if you're running Windows.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

ta delenda est

I looked in the manual, and it says nothing about the LED or beep codes - all I've been able to gather is all of the LEDS in the right side (tape, wp, open handle, and cleaning) flashing means a dropped leader, which, I've already determined is not the case. I believe that the fact that the bottom (operate handle) LED is on steady while all the other LEDs flash means some sort of error, but the hard part is exactly what error it's trying to tell me!

I think what I need is the service manual for the drive - I'm not even sure who originally made it - It's labelled "digital" inside (yes, as in DEC), sold in a compaq tape library, which was OEMed by a company called Overland.

At least I paid $10 for the unit, so I'm not out any major dough if I can't fix it.

-Rick

Reply to
hemiguy1977

Compaq bought Digital, then HP bought Compaq.

Michael A. Terrell

The operate handle LED being lit simply indicates that the door is unlocked. It's also normal for the lights to all flash on power up - but they should stop, plus you should only get one long beep, not a bunch of them.

Well, that could be a problem. I've never been able to locate a service manual for any of the DLT drives (I have a 8000 & a 7000 myself).

- I'm not even

Ayup.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

In article , hemiguy1977 writes

Do they flash together, or in sequence?

Last time I saw this it was due to a failed firmware flash. Re-flashing the firmware takes a surprisingly long time, so people tend to panic and assume something has gone wrong and pull the power to the drive. This, of course, is the worst possible thing to do since it leaves the drive with buggered firmware.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)  Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

The three lights the flash, flash together, not in sequence.

I'm not sure if the firmware was attempted to be reflashed - This drive came out of a library, so I don't think its likely. It does the same thing whether I power it up attached to the library controller or if I try to power it up on the bench.

-Rick

Reply to
hemiguy1977

The three lights the flash, flash together, not in sequence.

I'm not sure if the firmware was attempted to be reflashed - This drive came out of a library, so I don't think its likely. It does the same thing whether I power it up attached to the library controller or if I try to power it up on the bench.

-Rick

Reply to
hemiguy1977

In article , hemiguy1977 writes

Exactly. The firmware is unable to fully initialise, so IF whst you have is a case of failed firmware, you'll get that error whatever happens.

As far as I remember, there are two sets of firmware on the DLT7000. There's a basic firmware which brings the drive up, then another that initialises the SCSI interface and brings the drive online (or vice versa).

It's the second stage firmware that is re-flashed during an update. I had two dead DLT7000s - one which was doing what you describe, and another with (IIRC) a knackered head.

I made one working drive from the two by transferring the firmware board from the one with bad heads to the one with the failed flash, then successfully upgraded the firmware.

--
(\\__/)
(=\'.\'=)  Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.
(")_(")  http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/windows_7.png
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Well, it turns out the board IS bad - I swapped mechanisms, and the problem followed the board :(

Problem is, the unit is out of a Compaq TL881 loader (Made by "overland") and as such it's "differential" SCSI board, and it has some special OEM firmware, so its not like I can just use any board.

-Rick

Reply to
hemiguy1977