Disposing of my old Microwave Oven?

I bought a new microwave oven, so it's time to dispose of the old one. It's a 2yr old Sanyo Super Showerwave. It has a bad magnetron and burned waveguide cover. The magnetron is still under warranty, but I didn't think it was worth the cost of labor to get the magnetron replaced. Someone who works for an authorized Sanyo repairshop should be able to fix this thing for the cost of a paper waveguide cover. If anyone knows of places that take repairable appliances or if anyone wants it for the cost of Fedex Ground shipping, let me know.

I just don't have the heart to chuck it in the trash, especially since it's in mint condition cosmetically. When fixed, it WOULD pass for brand new!

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn Lin

On the topic of waveguide covers....what is it used for?? I assume it's the shiny copper coloured piece stuck to the sides of the oven where the microwave comes out...and why does it burn out?? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
li_gangyi

Mine burned out because something is wrong with the magnetron. It melted the aluminum microwave reflector thing that was mounted behind the waveguide cover, and also burned all the paint around the hole that the magnetron protrudes through.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn Lin

From my understanding of older microwave ovens (from the 80s, that we still use in the apartment buildings) the microwave reflector is called a Stirrer. Very easy to replace. I have read that when a megatron burns around the hole it protrudes it is because there is carbon built up and it conducts electricity, therefore causing it to arc. Simple sanding can fix that. I have also read that some people rebuild that area with a epoxy putty, but I don't know how true that is.

Of course you also need to test the case after its been opened for microwave leaks.

Of course this is useless info since you want to get rid of the oven, anyway. :)

Reply to
Astriapo