Disconnecting CFL bulb from powered circuit can cause damage?

When it STARTED to run with a blown bulb what happened ? It ran. So it should run again. However, if it is sending already upped voltage to the CCFLs a regular switch is not reliable.

Anyway, it sounds like this contraption is a light, a heater and a fan. Common power supply ? That is common. Correct me if I am wrong.

If I am not wrong I say in the very long run you might cost a little longevity running without that part of the load, but I say MIGHT. Not for sure. And it's not like it's going to fail overnight.

Don't sweat it.

Reply to
jurb6006

A few of those fly and mosquito traps on youtube look like they're very effective.

Reply to
bruce2bowser

ade it to age 16, and to 18 pounds before succumbing to cancer. In any case , he was a bit of a wandered, even when neutered. As we had an electronic fence for the dogs, we got a collar for him. The first day he wore it, he w alked up to the edge of the property - we could see him twitch - carefully walked through the zap area, turned around and walked back. We went to the fence supplier and got the "super max" collar. Next day, he did the same th ing.

Yes, some cats... go on...

Reply to
bruce2bowser

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

ight do not actually attract mosquitoes, you will find that any light will do.

nsects. From:

d in huge quantities by homeowners due to their demonstrated ability to att ract and kill thousands of insects over a 24 hr. period. One industry repre sentative estimates that over 1.75 million of these devices are purchased a nnually in the U.S. But do they really control pest insects? Bug zappers do indeed kill some mosquitoes. However, the only two controlled studies cond ucted to date by independent investigators at the University of Notre Dame showed that mosquitoes comprised merely 4.1% and 6.4% respectively of the d aily catch over an entire season. Even more important was the finding in bo th studies that there was no significant difference in the number of mosqui toes found in yards with or without bug zappers. What is particularly disco ncerting, however, is the number of non-pest insects that comprise the vast majority of trap catch. Many of these insects are beneficial predators on other insect pests. They in turn constitute a major part of the diet of man y songbirds. Indeed, reduced numbers of moth and beetle prey species have c ontributed significantly to the decline of songbird populations in many aff luent suburbs. Insect electrocution devices undoubtedly bear some responsib ility for this phenomenon. Mosquitoes continue to be more attracted to huma ns than to the devices. One study conducted in homeowners' backyards showed that of the insects killed by these devices, only 0.13% were female mosqui toes. An estimated 71 billion to 350 billion beneficial insects may be kill ed annually in the United States by these electrocuting devices.

When the bulb blew I searched the net to understand if it was worth replaci ng the bulb and found the information you posted. The fact is its effective ness went down without the light, the bug container was almost empty and mo squitoes were bitting in the area. I concluded the machine uses the CFL bul b also as a heat generator and probably without heat mosquitoes were not at tracted inside the vents for the fan to suck them.

I could not find a replacement UV bulb of that type but I found a non-UV wh ite light replacement that is enough to generate the intended heat. Time wi ll say if it is effective.

Reply to
Jeroni Paul

El jueves, 21 de marzo de 2019, 6:32:22 (UTC+1), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com escribi

quitoes attracted by a chemical compound, heat and UV light. The fan must n ot stop or the mosquitoes will escape. "

ould run again. However, if it is sending already upped voltage to the CCFL s a regular switch is not reliable.

ommon power supply ? That is common. Correct me if I am wrong.

evity running without that part of the load, but I say MIGHT. Not for sure. And it's not like it's going to fail overnight.

I tested to remove one wire while lit and nothing wrong seems to happen, th e light just goes off and the fan continues to spin. I will have to try a r elay and see if it turns off reliably.

Reply to
Jeroni Paul