Directional Infrared Counter

Hi all. I have been trying to find a schematic for a directional counter for use in a door way. I have a circuit for a regular counter, however I need to make it directional, counting just the people coming into the room. I know I will need to use at least 2 infrared emitters, but I do not know what to do from there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
wjbalog
Reply to

Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

This problem is a LOT more complicated than it appears. The issues aren't about circuits...they're about people. The solution linked elsewhere in the thread alludes to the kinds of issues you get when two people enter the detection zone simultaneously. If you're willing to restrict traffic flow to enforce one person not loitering in the detection zone, it gets easier.

As always, the devil is in the details. If you are building a commercial device to be replicated, it'd better work well. If it's a toy project or a school project, I'd take the easy way out.

Build yourself an oscillator with 25% duty factor. Drive two IR leds out of phase. Use two front-surface mirrors to deflect the two beams onto the IR port of a Palm III. Let the palm sort out which beam is broken and in which order. Display the count on the screen.

If you just want to know if the room is occupied, PIR sensors might be the way to go.

Or you could just put a coin box on each side and make people deposit a token to get in our out...Count those.

All depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

Reply to
mike