digital camera optical device?

Decided to break into an old camera and remove the IR filter to explore what effect that has for using as an IR camera to some extent. Especially as there is a service manual for it , casio QV700 and dismantling procedure and schematics etc. There was a glass or crystaline square block that was blue in colour, removed it, immediately over the CCD chip, now seem to have lost focus. May have moved something else in the process, this block looking through it has no refractive effect, seems to just colour things blue, what is it? Maybe a sandwich of blue glass and 2 slabs of white glass, not equal thicknesses

Reply to
N_Cook

replacing that little block and normal focus function ruturned

Reply to
N_Cook

Did you check to see if the camera saw IR in the first place?

I have a few, and at least one digital camera sees IR.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

An easy check if a camera sees IR is to simply point an IR remote at the camera and press buttons while looking through the camera at the dark plastic end. If you see bluish/white light appear only on the camera screen then you are seeing the IR light.

If you don't see IR then the lens likely has a coating on it to absorb that spectrum.

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Which is what I did. I can't even remember which camera it was, but it wsan't my most recent one.

Which then explains the original poster's issue, it's not a separate filter but a coating.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

It's the IR blocking filter, and usually also a pair of crossed walkoff plates that spreads the light out evenly over the 2x2 pixel subarray (2 green, 1 red, 1 blue) that corresponds to each display pixel. That prevents coloured jaggies in the image.

The colour filters used in CMOS and CCD processes are organic dyes, which have a huge hole in the NIR. You need a separate IR filter, or the colour balance will be all off and you'll start seeing through some types of clothing. (There was a bit of a flap some years ago when Sony introduced a camcorder that did that.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs