Did you update your router for the WPA2/PSK KRACK nonce re-use attack yet?

I think in your case you say your house is out of wifi range of your neighbours; but since you're advising friends and family, it could be that one house's fridge/camera/thermostat hacks the neighbour's wifi traffic ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

He who is Andy Burns said on Sun, 29 Oct 2017 16:53:03 +0000:

I understand only the *basics* of that argument, which is that if you have device 0 (the router), and then client 1 (refrigerator) and client 2 (Android phone), and client 3 (linux laptop) that *all* are vulnerable.

The basic argument is that if someone gets in on client 1, 2, or 3, then the *whole* network is compromised.

But is it?

If client 1 is a refrigerator with very poor security, I get it that they can hack easily into client 1.

All I'm asking is how does access to client 1 give them access to router 0 which "controls" the entire LAN?

Reply to
harry newton

It doesn't directly. But they now have control of a wireless card, which they can adapt (software) to listen in on the traffic between your computer and the router (remember that the wireless signal goes everywhere), and can then subvert the communication between the computer and the router forcing the system into negotiation replay. I have no desire to figure out exactly how to do that, just that with fridges etc around with zero security, they have an in to your local network, and quite possibly can use that to run a Krack on the computer and the router.

Reply to
William Unruh