Did you update your router for the WPA2/PSK KRACK nonce re-use attack yet?

Did you update your router for the WPA2/PSK KRACK nonce re-use attack yet?

I reported it yesterday over here with links...

They made it public a half hour ago:

Manufacturers apparently had 50 days to effect the fix: Key Reinstallation Attacks: Forcing Nonce Reuse in WPA2

--
No need to respond; this is just FYI...
Reply to

The weaknesses are in the Wi-Fi standard itself, and not in individual products or implementations.

Therefore, any correct implementation of WPA2 is likely affected. To prevent the attack, users must update affected products as soon as security updates become available.

If your device supports Wi-Fi, it is most likely affected.

Android, Linux, Apple, Windows, OpenBSD, MediaTek, Linksys, and others, are all affected by some variant of the attacks.

The research behind the attack will be presented at the Computer and Communications Security (CCS) conference, and at the Black Hat Europe conference. Our detailed research paper can already be downloaded.

DEMONSTRATION As a proof-of-concept we executed a key reinstallation attack against an Android smartphone.

In this demonstration, the attacker is able to decrypt all data that the victim transmits. For an attacker this is easy to accomplish, because our key reinstallation attack is exceptionally devastating against Linux and Android 6.0 or higher.

This is because Android and Linux can be tricked into (re)installing an all-zero encryption key (see below for more info). When attacking other devices, it is harder to decrypt all packets, although a large number of packets can nevertheless be decrypted.

In any case, the following demonstration highlights the type of information that an attacker can obtain when performing key reinstallation attacks against protected Wi-Fi networks:

Any data or information that the victim transmits can be decrypted.

Additionally, depending on the device being used and the network setup, it is also possible to decrypt data sent towards the victim (e.g. the content of a website).

Although websites or apps may use HTTPS as an additional layer of protection, we warn that this extra protection can (still) be bypassed in a worrying number of situations. For example, HTTPS was previously bypassed in non-browser software, in Apple's iOS and OS X, in Android apps, in Android apps again, in banking apps, and even in VPN apps.

Reply to
harry newton

FYI

David B.
Reply to
David_B

He who is David_B said on Mon, 16 Oct 2017 15:13:58 +0100:

That link was already in the original post. :)

In cryptography, a nonce is a neologism for an arbitrary number that may only be used once, similar in spirit to the occasionalism lexeme "nonce word" (as are the headwords of any dictionary).

Here is a related link to the Blackhat briefing that wasn't in the OP:

"We have discovered several key management vulnerabilities in the Wi-Fi Protected Access II (WPA2) security protocol. These can be exploited using so-called key reinstallation attacks.

Because this is a protocol-level issue, most correct implementations of the standard are affected.

Put differently, most protected Wi-Fi networks, including personal and enterprise WPA2 networks, are affected.

All clients and access points that we tested in practice were vulnerable to some variant of the attack. The precise impact depends on the specific variant(s) of the attack that an implementation is vulnerable to."

Bear in mind that the attacker has to be in close proximity to your device to effect the attack, and that no known variants are in the wild yet, so it's not something to worry about except to start looking for when the patches come out for all your devices that handle the WiFi WPA2/PSK protocol.

--
See also en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptographic_nonce
Reply to

Did you notice that these hacks always happen BEFORE someone fixed it? Are they all security traps, planted into router firmware by design? :)

--
   @~@   Remain silent! Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper!!
  / v \  Simplicity is Beauty!

a) If the fix were in, then they could not happen. b) Otherwise, it would not be a Hack.

You need to brush up on your logic.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

He who is Mr. Man-wai Chang said on Mon, 16 Oct 2017 23:57:50 +0800:

This nonce KRACK vulnerability is in *everything*, including smart phones (iOS & Android) and computers (Mac/Windows/Linux) and routers (Netgear/Cisco/TPLink) ....

It even affects web sites (e.g., Match.com)...

It's more than just routers, so it's *big* - but bear in mind a. Fixes will be out soon b. Nothing is known in the wild yet c. You have to be nearby to be vulnerable

Still, since it affects *everything* using WPA2 (business and personal), it's a big deal nonetheless.

All you can do is wait for the patch when it comes out for each of your devices that implement the affected encryption protocol.

Reply to
harry newton

It appears if you do not use or have WiFi and WPS enabled you should be secure from this. Since I have both disabled I assume I am safe because I use neither.

--

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Bill Bradshaw

He who is Bill Bradshaw said on Mon, 16 Oct 2017 09:23:19 -0800:

More so than routers, mostly all known wifi "clients" are affected (e.g., all consumer smartphones and computers) that use either WPA or WPA2 (enterprise or personal), and even against networks that just use AES.

Some encrypted web sites are also affected, such as Match.com (as shown in the aforementioned video).

So you're right that it's not a big deal that there is no encryption in all these cases because the the man in the middle has to be nearby.

Reply to
harry newton

Still waiting for an update for my TP-Link Archer C7 router. If I understand all this correctly, then I'll also need an update for my Nexus 5X?

--
s|b
Reply to

They do use a tool commonly used in man-in-the-middle attacks, to strip away the tls and send the content to the client machine unencrypted. As they did explain in the video, many don't check in their mobile devices that they have tls communication or not and those they will be able to carry out the attack to see the the login credentials in this example.

This has nothing to do with KRACK itself.

There are devices that can give an attacker quite long range to execute their attacks on, so you ain't safe just for you don't see anyone nearby.

--

 //Aho
Reply to

It's more important to update the client than the server.

Reply to
J.O. Aho

I think, but do not know for sure, that the primary thing that needs to protected is the client not the Access point. Ie, your Android (do they use wpa_supplicant, since Android is based on Linux?) IOs , or your laptop. As far as I have seen, there is no fix out yet for wpa_supplicant.

It seems that the reason Windows is more resistant is because they did not no impliment the full spec for WPA2.

Reply to
William Unruh

Is this something that MS can push an update out for to fix, or does the wifi chip vendor need to fix device firmware or device driver?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Roger Blake

He who is J.O. Aho said on Mon, 16 Oct 2017 21:08:48 +0200:

Thanks for explaining *how* they manage to unencrypt *some* encrypted web sites but not others, as I wasn't sure how they did that.

I was wrong in assuming it was the KRACK attack, which seems to be that they simply hijack the third of the four handshakes, usually from the client side, and force it to be resent where in some cases, it's resent as all zeroes where in other cases it's just resent as a known nonce.

Is that a decent summary or can you summarize the attack mode better?

Reply to
harry newton

He who is William Unruh said on Mon, 16 Oct 2017 19:58:55 -0000 (UTC):

Thanks for explaining that as this nonce stuff has certain unexpected nuances.

However, we have to be a bit careful with any early conclusions such as mine yesterday (before the paper came out) that routers were originally involved more so than clients, which turns out, as noted, to be not the case - the mobile device and desktop clients are the weak link here.

However, all conclusions from the paper at the moment are preliminary because the paper was sent for review on the 19th May where the authors found out more information afterward that's not in the paper, but it *does* seem that some OS'es (e.g., MacOS & Android 6+ & Ubuntu, for example) are apparently far more acutely affected than are the Windows based WPA1 and WPA1 implementations (or the iOS implementation).

Reply to
harry newton

Ubuntu just pushed out a patch today.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y upgrade

and you are good to go.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jonathan N. Little

He who is Jonathan N. Little said on Mon, 16 Oct 2017 18:13:09 -0400:

We have to be careful about "a patch" since there are actually multiple vulnerabilities, although perhaps one patch fixes all.

Ubiquiti released this today for example...where my rooftop radios can pick up the signals from over a million people, so, that many people can attack me. :)

"You are mostly covered if you are running v8.4.0 (AC series) or v6.0.7 (M series). We will fully resolve the issue with v8.4.2/v6.1.2 (betas aimed for the end of this week). Furthermore, our proprietary airMAX protocol makes simple attacks more difficult to carry out. Will be fully fixed with v8.4.2/v6.1.2: CVE-2017-13077: reinstallation of the pairwise key in the Four-way handshake CVE-2017-13078: reinstallation of the group key in the Four-way handshake CVE-2017-13079: reinstallation of the integrity group key in the Four-way handshake CVE-2017-13080: reinstallation of the group key in the Group Key handshake CVE-2017-13081: reinstallation of the integrity group key in the Group Key handshake Unaffected: CVE-2017-13082: accepting a retransmitted Fast BSS Transition Reassociation Request and reinstalling the pairwise key while processing it CVE-2017-13084: reinstallation of the STK key in the PeerKey handshake CVE-2017-13086: reinstallation of the Tunneled Direct-Link Setup (TDLS) PeerKey (TPK) key in the TDLS handshake CVE-2017-13087: reinstallation of the group key (GTK) when processing a Wireless Network Management (WNM) Sleep Mode Response frame CVE-2017-13088: reinstallation of the integrity group key (IGTK) when processing a Wireless Network Management (WNM) Sleep Mode Response frame"

Reply to
harry newton

Fixed on Patch Tuesday. Good luck collecting detailed proof though.

There's a Wifi architecture diagram here. This is so you can see the degrees of freedom allowed.

I'd wait for some "expert" opinion. I'd accept the opinion of the Microsoft staffer who wrote the patch :-) Anyone else, not so much.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

he

Microsoft CVE Notice When did Microsoft release the security updates to address this vulnerability? Microsoft released security updates on October 10, 2017 as part of Update Tuesday to resolve this vulnerability in all affected editions of Windows . Customers who have Windows Update enabled and who applied the latest security updates are protected automatically. The Security Update Guide w as updated on October 16, 2017 to provide full disclosure on this vulnerabil ity in accordance with a multi-vendor coordinated disclosure.

Also, if using a NetGear router see.... NETGEAR is aware of WPA-2 security vulnerabilities that affect NETGEAR products that connect to WiFi networks as clients. These vulnerabilities are potentially exploitable under the following conditions: ?Your devices are only vulnerable if an attacker is in physical proximi ty to and within wireless range of your network. ?****Routers and gateways are only affected when in bridge mode**** (wh ich is not enabled by default and not used by most customers). A WPA-2 handsh ake is initiated by a router in bridge mode only when connecting or reconnect ing to a router

--
   ...winston
msft mvp windows experience 2007-2016, insider mvp 2016-2018