Desktop PC power supply - Page 2

Re: Desktop PC power supply

** A Kill-A-Watt reads "watts", power factor and "VA".

  What does yours give for PF & VA ?

.....   Phil

Re: Desktop PC power supply

It's consistent: VA = 310+-, PF=.69, W21%0+-.  So, it knows that there's
difference & it knows how to divide, but it still might not know how to
do true RMS power.

Re: Desktop PC power supply
On Thu, 02 Mar 2017 09:58:26 -0500, Bob Engelhardt

I had an older Pentium computer that came with a 100W PS. It worked fien
until I added more RAM and an extra Harddrive. Then it would randomly
crash or just do a reboot for no reason. Shortly afterwards, the PS just
died. I bought a 350W PS and never had another problem with that
computer. It's called RESERVE POWER. Under normal use, it only uses 54W,
but add a few drives and run it real hard, and the power use demand
rises.

This is about the same as an audio amplifier. You may have the output
tubes or transistors that will pump out 100W, but if your power supply
cant furnish the reserve power on high demand heavy bass loads, you will
hear a lot of distortion, or lose power, or worse....

Re: Desktop PC power supply
 > randomly crash or just do a reboot for no reason. Shortly afterwards,
 > the PS just died. I bought a 350W PS and never had another problem
 > with that computer. It's called RESERVE POWER. Under normal use, it
 > only uses 54W, but add a few drives and run it real hard, and the
 > power use demand rises.

    It's called 'Not using under rated parts'. That 100W was marginal,
at best when the computer was built. That 350W rating may, or may not be
the real power it can deliver.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.