Dell PowerConnect fan question

As anyone who owns one knows, the fans in a Dell PowerConnect 5324 network switch are horrendously noisy. Therefore, following the suggestions I see all over the 'Net, I bought a pair of Sunon KDE1204PKV3-MS.AF.GN fans.

One of the two new fans keeps the "Fan OK" LED green but does not spin. The other one spins but activates the red "Fan Error" LED.

Is there any simple explanation for this? With the original Delta screamers, the red LED switched on only when a fan was disconnected or prevented from turning.

Anybody else here done this fan substitution? Does a "working" (i.e., spinning) Sunon fan activate the green fan LED rather than the red one?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I haven't done the fan transplant on a 5324 but have done it successfully on other switches. There seems to be something fishy about the 5324 connector wiring. See the video starting at 7:05. My guess(tm) is that you have the RPM sensor wire going to the wrong pin.

In the comments under the first comment by Brad Poulon is: Muhammad Khan1 year ago I installed the same fans on my PowerConnect 5324 as well, they are not whisper quiet and the front FAN led blinks red. Did you do the wire hack shown in the video? and also where did you get the fans from? Much Appreciated!!?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I switched the connections around the same way as the original Delta fans: Red, Yellow (the originals were blue), Black, instead of the Black, Red, Yellow sequence with which the new fans came.

I do see one difference between the fans I bought and the ones referred to in Brad Poulton's comment on YouTube: mine are KDE1204PKV3-MS.AF.GN, whereas he mentions KDE1204PKV3-MS.AR.GN

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

methinks that is just direction of airflow.

RL

Reply to
legg

Yep. That's correct and required. However, if wired correctly, the fan should spin even if the RPM wire was disconnected. I smell a defective fan. Try powering the red/black wires with an external 12V source. If the one that doesn't spin continues to fail to spin, it's a bad fan. The other fan seems to act like the RPM wire is disconnected, not sending a signal, or sending the wrong signal. Two defective fans?

Did you notice in the YouTube video that the author had to replace the fans twice? The 2nd time, the vendor shipped him 2 out of 3 defective fans.

I Googled for what the various dealers are selling in the way of replacement quiet fans. 1300 hits for AR and 2300 hits for AF.

Ah, found the catalog page: See bottom of Pg 08. MS = Maglev GN = RoHS compliant AR = Autorestart + 3rd wire with rotation detector waveform AF = Autorestart + 3rd wire with frequency generation waveform Well, there's the difference and possibly the culprit. Check what the original Delta fan is putting out on the 3rd wire and buy whatever fan is compatible. I think you can take it from here.

I still think your fan that doesn't spin is defective.

2:30AM. Maybe I should get some sleep...
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Wrong. See Pg 08 to decode the part number.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I did satisfy myself that the non-spinning fan was in fact defective, and the seller (in China) refunded my money for that one fan. And as far as I could find out, the 3rd wire on the original Delta fans put out a "spinning" signal.

I now have a couple of KDE1204PKV3-MS.AR.GN fans from a different vendor (nothing against the first one, but he didn't have the "AR" ones), and they spin just fine, but the fan LED is reddish with flashes of green rather than steady green. I guess I'll just put up with that.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Did you ever do the pin switch as shown in this video:

The guy in the youtube comments says the KDE1204PKV3.MS.AR.GN w/ the pin swap works great.

That pdf posted does not help decode these part numbers heh: KDE1204PKV3.MS.AR.GN vs KDE1204PKV3.MS.AF.GN

Also here:

webdawg

Here is another quote:

"Just a note to add that if you use the version of those Sunon fans with th e "F" 3rd wire output (frequency or "tacho" output) then the switch will re gister a fan fail - you need the version that has the "R" (Rotation) type 3 rd wire output which is a basic constant 5v or 0v output depending on wheth er the fan is stalled or running"

webdawg

Yes, I switched the pins, and, as I said, the LED is mostly reddish with flashes of green. I guess it's just no spinning fast enough to keep the Dell circuitry completely happy.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Nope. However, I just inherited a Dell 5424 that could use a fan transplant. I might try it eventually, but not in the immediate future. It's going into a mount top site where there's nobody to complain about the noise.

Looks good. It took him a few tries to get the power polarity correct. The open question is whether the fan sense wire wants a DC level to represent fan speed, or if it generates pulses. I still don't have an answer and suggest you use an oscilloscope on the sense wire to see what it's doing (with the original noisy fans). I can do it in about a week (I'm on vacation this week) or I might sneak into the office for one day this week.

Dunno. All I have to work with on decoding the part number was on my previous posting.

Same thing. Just juggle the wires and it should work, assuming that you got lucky with the sense wire.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Well, that's your answer on the part number.

However, you can probably simulate the "R" type by simply integrating the frequency output of the "F" type with a large capacitor. To the Dell switch, the pulse train would look like a DC voltage. It's easy enough but I don't want to recommend a circuit until I see what kind of load the Dell represents (TTL, CMOS, transistor circuit, etc) and what levels it expects.

F versus R type:

You could also just pull down to ground the 3 fan sense wires on the Dell. (see waveform on the R type above). There would not be any indication of a fan failure, but it would work.