Dell monitor - invokes factory reset at boot.

In the past week, my Dell monitor has developed the habit of doing a factory reset when the PC is booting up.

I wouldn't mind - but it gets it wrong and leaves the image shifted to the right.

Doing the factory reset manually corrects it, but its a hassle.

I'm wondering if I clicked something I shouldn't have, or the monitor is on its way out.

Its no biggie - I found the monitor in the first place, and since then scrounged a better one on Freegle, I'd just like to know what's going on.

Thanks.

Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot

it's almost always bad caps.

Reply to
mike

I found an Acer LCD monitor lying on the sidewalk, in front of a grocery store actually, and all seemed fine, but if I left it running, it would reset, and display the Acer logo. I didnt' see any obviously bad capacitors, but I changed the electrolytic ones at the output of the power supply, and all was fine.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

The last monitor that went down was bad caps - it was a more serious fault and I was basically just having a look before binning it. When I saw how simple it was, I did the repair.

There's one gathering dust in the corner, it has leakage on the front panel buttons - it develops a mind of its own in damp weather.

Need to be a bit more desperate before I could be bothered doing anything about it.

Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot

Yup, I had one that got a bit of drink spilled on it, and it corroded the board with the button switches. Whenever a button starts acting up, I remove the capacitor that is across the switch contacts and replace with a

100 pF cap, and clean the board well while the cap is removed. That seems to have fixed it. The button switches themselves seem to be fine.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Mine doesn't have any switch capacitors, the board isn't corroded. I cleaned it and re-tinned all the button pins hoping it would dry them out - that didn't work.

Its a case of finding enough button switches to replace them all - and being bothered enough to do the job.

Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot

Quite possibly - I'd just about summoned the courage to tackle the clutter around the monitor so I could swap it out, I wanted something to eat so fired up the PC while I was sitting there - suddenly the monitor was behaving itself.

Other symptoms were starting to emerge; some display aspects were starting to look washed out - the cursor would lose contrast while editing email replies.

Today its suddenly working normally.

Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot

I've found these microswitches leak some sort of oil, probably disintegration of some rubber part inside that turns conductive over time. This together with high impedance inputs causes false button presses.

Reply to
Jeroni Paul

That was a different monitor.

Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot

That sounds like the Sony Blu Ray Player I smashed with a hammer a couple of days ago.

Reply to
Phoena Greene

The 19" hanns-G had leaky front button switches - they were replaced and its fine.

The Dell didn't have a DVI connector, so I just had a quick look - on not finding anything conspicuously obvious, I didn't bother putting it back together.

If I didn't have another spare; I might've tried a bit harder.

Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot