Dell Model PP18L, Lattitude D630 laptop will not recognize hard drive

Hi guys. I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me with this. I was w atching a video yesterday on my laptop and three quarters through the scree n just froze. It wouldn't respond to anything. I had to do a hard reset. Wh en it tried to come back up it never completed Post and now it will not rec ognize the hard drive. Running diags only shows two attempts at a "DST sho rt test" with the failure code 2000-0141displayed, and no options to load a HDD protocol or make an changes in the HDD. Does anyone know if this is r epairable or am I screwed? Thanks for any assistance. Lenny

Reply to
captainvideo462009

This post looks addressing a pretty similar situation:

Crossing fingers it also works for you.

Cheers!

Reply to
c4urs11

Here is a list with Dell diagnostic error codes:

Error 2000-0141 is commented as follows: Refix the HDD and run Diagnostics If you receive the same error code replace the HDD.

That doesn't leave many options. Maybe re-seating the drive makes a difference?

Presumably POST stops here because there is no other source to boot from. If you can mount a CD you could try launching a rescue disk and use this to inspect and hopefully access the drive.

Reply to
c4urs11

Boot from this, there are a number of disk tools on it, might help.

Kenny Cargill

On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 at 9:34:38 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com w rote:

watching a video yesterday on my laptop and three quarters through the scr een just froze. It wouldn't respond to anything. I had to do a hard reset. When it tried to come back up it never completed Post and now it will not r ecognize the hard drive. Running diags only shows two attempts at a "DST s hort test" with the failure code 2000-0141displayed, and no options to load a HDD protocol or make an changes in the HDD. Does anyone know if this is repairable or am I screwed? Thanks for any assistance. Lenny

Your hard disk quit. I have a D630 as well, and have seen the 0141 error tw ice. Both times, a new disk fixed it. Freezing is a common outcome when the hard disk disappears while booted off of it.

0141 is an indication that the disk is missing, not that the disk reported a failure. Ignoring improper seating and damaged connectors, the usual caus e is mechanical failure (head out of tolerance / crashed onto disk, scraped platters, etc.). Most modern disks read disk parameters and even the firmw are from the platters, so a mechanical failure that prevents it from readin g the system tracks will often prevent the BIOS from seeing the disk.

If you remove the hard disk, the system will likely POST at a more normal p ace, then complain about the lack of something to boot from.

Reply to
Genesys

Can you hear the disk spinning?

Power management may have stopped the drive while watching the video. Then any next access to the disk (say some operation with the swap file) could freeze the OS if the drive doesn't spin up again.

I have had many drives in the past needing repeated power cycling before they would start: last calls for a final backup...

Cheers!

Reply to
c4urs11