Dell Inspiron N5110: System time does not advance when unit is off.

This Dell Inspiron N5110, which has Windows 7 Home Premium installed, was given to me because upon startup it would BSOD with a REGISTRY_ERROR. That was resolved with a system restore but I noticed another problem which has me puzzled. The system time does not advance when the unit is turned off. I went into the BIOS setup and noticed that within the time configuration, the seconds were not ticking. Once the machine is booted into Windows, the automatic time synchronization will eventually set it to the correct time and it stays that way until it's powered off. The CMOS battery measures above 3 volts in circuit and all the other BIOS settings are saved when the machine is off. I tried temporarily removing the battery to reset the BIOS and the result was that the time reverted back to several years earlier however the seconds were ticking normally. I entered the correct time/date and restarted the computer and all was well. I turned it off for a while and then powered it on again and entered the BIOS setup. The time was stuck again and the seconds were not advancing. It seems to me that no matter what condition the Windows operating system is in, it shouldn't be able to interrupt the time function when the set is powered off. I tried updating the BIOS to a newer version but that just crashed the machine. (Fortunately it didn't brick the machine). I found other users complaining about the frozen clock issue but as yet have found no solution. Here is an example of a similar complaint.

Anyone have any ideas what is causing this suspension of time?

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Something is wrong with the on-board RTC - Real Time Clock.

You need to identify that chip or module and first see if its crystal is damaged.

If the device is a Dallas TimeKeeper then you can simply plug in another one, if soldered into the board then you have to decide how much it is worth to fix...

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Thanks John,

It is worth it to me to know how much trouble it is and then decide if it's worth fixing. I'll let you know what I find.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

I found a free program Neutron Time Set that I run from startup that sets the time for me.

KenW

Reply to
KenW

I had a laptop with a bad cmos battery. Had weird symptoms related to timekeeping, but the cmos settings were retained. The voltage was low, so I changed the rechargeable battery. That fixed it.

Reply to
Mike

Hi Mike,

The CR2032 battery is not rechargeable and it is not measuring below 3.0 volts. There were several other people reporting this Dell frozen time problem and replacing the battery did not fix the issue.

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

A DS1287 is probably thicker than most laptops :-)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Schematic available here

[1]

The RTC is part of the 'Cougar Point Platform Controller Hub' [2]

Clearing CMOS is apparently done by a jumper (G2101) RTCRST# (page 21 of the schematic [1]. Power off then momentary short (p.163 of [2])

--
Adrian C
Reply to

The main cause, as explained, is the battery (CR2032). You need to change it. It causes also BSOD.

Reply to
Look165

The OP did mention that he tested the CMOS battery and it read above 3.0V DC.

Now it could be the battery holder that is defective. You need to check that Vbb is getting to the timekeeper - and someone kindly posted a ink to the schematics so the OP can check that out now more easily.

John :-#)#

p/4122751

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the workaround idea. I may have to resort to using it!

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Hi Adrian,

That schematic and datasheet will be very helpful. Thanks!

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Hi John,

I was testing the battery voltage where the battery holder's terminals are soldered to the board.

Now that I have the schematic, it should be fairly simple (famous last words, right?) to track down the fault.

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Nothing better than fixing stuff IMHO.

We generate enough garbage that keeping something going that is still useful is worth the effort, puls the brain cells need exercise!

John ;-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Quite :)

The reason why I pipped in, was that I was researching a real time clock / NVRAM fix to a 27-year old Sun X terminal [1], and came across a description of a 'kick start' procedure to initialise the installation a new clock module (a 28pin DIL chip like the popular DALLAS type). However, I just needed a new battery fitted to my old one, and set about mine with a hacksaw like this ...

[1] For the hell of it, and a break from coding with much faster RPi things, I've been wandering down retro memory lane putting life back into an old discarded Sun Sparc Classic X. (removing the X terminal nature of the beast and installing a 1GB SCSI HDD, 72-pin parity SIMM, NetBSD 8.0 etc).

It doesn't really have a purpose (unit lacks USB, CPU runs at 50MHz) but the retro experience has reignited some brain cells - so it's kind of therapeutic. In twenty-thirty years time, I'll probably have the same fun with old Core2Duo driven things like what I am using here.

For a healthy mind, I heartily recommend this time travelling retro hobby. Sure beats sudoku and eating lots of fish ...

--
Adrian C
Reply to

I cosign on salvaging electronics and exercising the brain cells.

By the way, how is it the computer keeps perfect time once the time is set and the power remains on? Shouldn't the time shown in the BIOS setup screen begin to advance too once it's powered on?

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

BIOS settings are kept by the battery, not only time and date. IF time slips or BSOD, it means the battery is dead or holder. If not, Flash EEPROM is dying. Anyway, if your PC can work, try HW32INFO.

Reply to
Look165

The computer does not BSOD since I used a restore point to correct that issue. The battery is not dead. I measured it mounted in the holder at the holder's terminals. The PC works fine except for the clock. Is there some particular piece of information you want me to find with HW32info?

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Good. And, the usual self-test can/should exercise the chip that keeps the timer running. It won't, necessarily, test the time accuracy, and a typical such system uses a quartz crystal with a couple of small capacitors. The crystal could be fractured, or (worse) one of the capacitors could be shorted. Tiny capacitors, only gonna be able to find 'em because they're next to the rock.

Reply to
whit3rd

Another poster has suggested a circuit diagram

and the crystal would be X2101 and its associated components, R2101, C2101, C2102, depicted on 'sheet 21 of 108' (see the label on lower left page corners) and connected to pins A20 and C20 of the 'Cougar Point' big integrated circuit.

Reply to
whit3rd