Dell E176FPc 17" LCD monitor.

This was a freebie with no history etc - it works, but pressing any of the setting buttons displays a padlock symbol on the screen.

Anyone know how to unlock it?

The Dell website wasn't much help, and it looks too old to find the manual.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Ian Field

You can get the Service Manual here:

It says: "Press the 'Menu' button for over 15 seconds to unlock the OSD Menu"

Cheers!

Reply to
c4urs11

Thanks and thanks.

Most grateful.

Reply to
Ian Field

When the neocon-men in Washington start WW3, remember that the Russians helped you.

Reply to
jurb6006

Whoever presses the button - it will have been the Arabs that yanked their chain.

Reply to
Ian Field

Yes, you hold the menu button down for 10 seconds. When the padlock goes from locked to open, release the button.

I had one that got soda spilled into the little PC board with the button switches, and it ended up in the locked state once the board was cleaned. So, I had to unlock it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Someone left the monitor and a bashed up Dell computer on the end of their drive with a note; "please take - free" - I just knew the monitor would come in handy.

The one I'd been using was scrounged on a free recycling group, they told me it was faulty and the buttons were dodgy, like something had been spilled down the front.

After cleaning the button PCB, I reflowed all the solder joints in the hope the heat would desiccate any lingering residues. It seemed OK for a while, but soon became apparent that the buttons had a life of their own in humid weather.

It got to be such a PITA that the Dell got put into service.

Reply to
Ian Field

The Dell monitor I had this problem with had 4 buttons. The power button was fine, the other 3 had trouble at different times. They have a small surface-mount capacitor on the back across each button switch. The switches appeared to be well-sealed, but the soda stuff gut under the caps, ate some of the PC board, and caused lingering conduction. So, I removed all the caps, severely scrubbed the PC board with solvent and a toothbrush, and soldered on, I think, 1000 pF caps where the bad ones were. This has solved the problem.

Your results sound EXACTLY like what mine was doing, and I had to remove the caps, clean and replace with new caps. Most likely, it would work fine without the caps. (I have quite a big stash of SMT parts as I assemble PC boards.)

If the switches are not sealed, then they are almost certainly full of sticky, conductive gunk, and would have to be replaced.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

AFAICR: there were no other components on the front PCB.

Finding the abandoned Dell came in just right, I'm not short of monitors over all - so getting around to working on the faulty one could take a while.

Reply to
Ian Field