Dell Dimension Power Supply

I am working on a Dell 2350. The original p/s appears to be dead. I have an ATX p/s that will power up the box. I have nothing attached as yet. No keyboard, mouse monitor etc. Just looking for life. The fans come on. It is alive.

I am aware that Dell uses a nonstandard pinout. The pinout on the main power connector matches up with my list of outputs for a standard ATX. There is one extra connector that Dell uses. It brings 12 volt power to the mobo. What is the purpose of this 12v line? Will I create a problem by powering up the whole system to see if the peripheral stuff works before I spring for the right replacement?

Is it feasible to simply splice this "extra" connector into the lines from the main connector and use the p/s on hand?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

The atx plug will fit physically but is probably wired differently.

See:

Adapters available but overpriced:

Good luck.

--