Delco Radio Wiring (please help)

Hello Everyone I have a 1996 Delco CD player that I would like to put in my '89 truck. Wiring the power and speakers are not what I really need help with. What I would like to do is wire up the SCV control. I don't know what pin or pins to use. I did get a harness for the radio but it does not come with the 4th plug. I just want to know what pins I need to use.

Thank you very much for your help... Happy 4th Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Jeff,

SCV input to the radio would be pin 16 in connector 2. To help locate pin 16: OE wiring to pin 15 would have been Dark Green (serial data) and OE to pin 17 would be Light Blue (RR speaker - )

The radio is calibrated for a 4000 pulse per mile square wave signal. If you have cruise control on the 89 you can get the 4000ppm VSS at the cruise module (assuming it's a GM truck!), otherwise you'll have to find the 4000ppm signal output at the back of the cluster, I don't recall the pin assignments. You *might* be able to pick VSS up at the ecm connector, but the ecm might be getting 2000ppm instead of 4, again, I don't recall.

Jeff wrote:

Reply to
D_Zoot

D_Zoot Thank you very much for the reply. This is the first replies from all the places that I tried to get the information (THANK YOU). As to your reply, I don't have the original connector. So can you give me a better idea of where they are look at the connector from the back of the radio. As for connecting the wires from the VSS I will have to splice in to the wires from the cluster or near the ECM. I will check my service book, it might be better for me to tap into the wires near the ECM. I am getting another radio to rework. So I am looking forward to putting them in my vehicles.

Jeff

D_Zoot wrote:

Reply to
Jeff

Jeff,

Looking at the back of the radio you'll see what looks like a group of

4 connectors toward the RH side, and a single connector toward the LH side. The single is for external devices such as an outboard tape player, so ignore that one.

The other that appears to be a group of 4 is actually two, but the connector keys make it look like 4 (and some aftermarket wiring kits use 4 seperate plugs instead of two keyed connectors). The upper row is connector C1, the lower row is C2

The upper row, C1, contains power, ground, backlighting and front speaker wiring. The lower row, C2, is rear speaker wiring, VSS and serial data.

Lower row C2: There are six pins in a row, the connector key (skips one pin) and then four more pins. Starting at the outside terminal, the first six pins terminals are numbered 11 to 16, then the key (skipped pin) then 17 to 20 for the last 4. The vss pin you need is

16, so it will be at the end of the row of six, right next to the key.

Jeff wrote:

Reply to
D_Zoot

D Thank you for the information. It it is where I thought it was. So I take it that only one wire is needed for this to work. At first I did not see that the ends of the locations were marked. Till after the second reply that you sent. I don't for see any issues, but I hope that you don't mine if I email you if I run into a problem. I am still waiting for some parts. So I will try to connect them in a few weeks.

Thank you, Jeff

D_Zoot wrote:

Reply to
Jeff

Jeff,

Yup, just the one wire, the VSS high circuit. VSS low, or signal return, just runs on the common ground.

Glad I could help. Feel free to email me, but use dzoot at yahoo com instead.

Regards, D

Jeff wrote:

Reply to
D_Zoot

D Thank you so much for your help (no one else helped). I will let you know how it turns out when I try it.

Take care, Jeff

D_Zoot wrote:

Reply to
Jeff