Defective meter?

I have been cutting power usage in my home. I have saved about 100 kwh a month so far. I put power strips on all the vampire stuff like DVR, TV, Stereo, DVD players, etc.. I shut of light timers and motion detectors. With the fridge off I still get meter spin, though it is very slow. So I shut of the power breaker to the smoke detectors. Meter still spins. Found my electric tooth brush charger on, shut that off, meter still spins. Drill charger in the garage, shut that off, meter still spins. I can't think of anything else. I shut off the Mains 100 amp breaker and guess what? The goddamn meter still spins, though slightly, about 30 seconds a click. So nothing is on and my meter spins, what is it, the meter itself? I'm paying for the power company's meter power? Check your meter by shutting of your main breaker and see if the meter still spins. If I have a defective meter I'd like to know.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

If you have killed the main breaker then it should be dead ! I would be looking for a defective meter or some kind of leakage on your side between the meter and breaker. Possibly a defective breaker, though unlikely.

I have seen leakage on long lines, a few feet, due to damp/moisture in the cable.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Look inside your breaker box for lizards, bugs, surge arrestors, carbonized patches, moisture, etc. on the upstream side of the main breaker. You could also try snapping the main breakers out completely.

Is it an "old-style" meter or a newer electronic one?

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

LOL< they put in a shunt at the Box! :)

"

Reply to
Jamie

I bought this house 2 years ago which had all new wiring, new panel and everything is shiny new inside the box. It's a 'spinning disk meter'. A digital might not even show this leakage.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

Can't help with usage despite main breaker off but with it on you've probably got a doorbell xformer and perhaps a furnace/AC xformer. Any light switches with neon glow in the dark features? electric clocks that don't run on batteries?

Reply to
Bennett Price

If it's that new, it probably has (as another poster noted) remote readout so they don't have to send out a meter reader. That consumes power.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

Which presumably is less than you would have to pay for the guy to get off his fat ass and read the meter. One way or the other, you pay for your meter to be read.

OP: How much money are we talking about, per month, here? Did you figure that out?

Reply to
Smitty Two

Whole house fire detecters?

Reply to
GMAN

Depends what you mean by "off".

IMHO, "off" doesn't mean "standby", "sleep","hibernate", or anything else other than "off". And "off" means just that - no power consumption at all. If you can't get "off" with a switch on the PC case, just pull the power plug from the mains supply socket.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Don't lump hibernate in with the rest. Hibernate is really off but it saves RAM contents to disk first so startup will be faster.

Reply to
greenpjs

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.xmission.com (GMAN) wrote in news:gdhag8$ia6$ snipped-for-privacy@news.xmission.com:

At least it's doing something. Mine's basically a VCR with a hard disk instead of a tape. There's no reason for the hard disk to be running all the time, if instant record is desired than a sizeable RAM buffer should be used.

Puckdropper

--
If you\'re quiet, your teeth never touch your ankles.

Puckdropper

And it wouldn't take much of a microbrain to figure out that it needed to spin up 30 minutes before the record time.

They may feel that it's more reliable to keep the drive spinning all the time.

-- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Samuel M. Goldwasser

No, the meter guy get out of his truck and comes up to the house every month. It's a spinning disk meter, not a digital.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

I have everything on power strips that have OFF switches. That's what I turn off.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

Seems like if you don't load up ram it would be faster.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

None of that crap is on when the MAIN BREAKER IS OFF, get it?

Reply to
Claude Hopper

Hibernate is _not_ "off". See

And neither is "Turn off computer" (in XP Home, at least). If I choose that, all the fans eventually stop, and the screen turns off, and the power indicator led goes out. BUT the optical mouse led stays on. Only by switching off the PC does that led go out.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Incidentally, the price of retail regular gas has NOT been following the price of crude oil. Try the "custom chart" on the above page and check the "show crude oil" box. Crude oil had had dramatic changes in price, with substantially smaller changes in retail prices.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

OK. Well that kind of goes along with what I suspected, in that there is no 'valid' reason from a lifetime / calibration angle for replacing the meter, and that this is just an 'angle' to get the utility company into your house to fit a remotely readable meter for their convenience.

I expect when they were looking for an angle, some bright spark with a degree in media archeology or some such modern nonsense, discovered the original meter manufacturer's spec sheet filed away somewhere, and it said something like "Calibration Accuracy : 25 years Guaranteed", and that was it, they had their 'in'. When you get the form letter, which they send about every 4 weeks, it is written in terms that are just sufficiently 'official' and alarmist to make it look to the average Joe, who's not reading between the lines, that the company have some kind of (almost) legal requirement to come into your house to do this work, and that you need to let them. I hate the way that we are bombarded all the time now with this pseudo-officialdom.

Thing is, I *like* my analogue meter. It's easy to read, which I do daily to keep my own eye on what's being used. My mother submitted to demands to change her meter, and the electronic thing that she has now, is unreadable. It has a tiny LC screen that has to be looked at squarely to stand a chance, and you have to juggle about with little pushbuttons to access it even. I can't read it without my glasses on, so at 86 y o she stands no chance. I know that in theory, there should not be any need for me or her to read the meter, as there can't be any errors or estimated readings when a computer is doing the remote reading, but I think we've probably all been there, and I would like to just verify what that computer thinks it is charging me ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily