Dark strip on LCD...

TV is a Polaroid 42" 1080p LCD, model TLX-04244B. It was purchased on 11/28/08, at Wal-Mart, with an extended warranty. It has developed a horizontal dark strip, about 3 inches wide, about 1/4 of the way down on the screen, running from one side of the screen to the other. A technician from the insurance company is coming to check it out on the 13th of this month. I think one of the backlights has failed. Is it repairable?

TIA!

Picture of the Day

Deke

*Anything* is repairable. Is it economically worth it? Only your insurance company can tell you. ;-)

It's probably not a backlight. Can you see video in the dark band (look very closely -- shine a bright flashlight at the area to help you see)? If the backlight has failed you should still be able to see video in that dark band. If not...

Your LCD display is probably bad. The display is made up of wide bands (about

3" -- depends on the model) running horizontally and vertically. Each of those areas is controlled by a driver IC. If one of the driver ICs fail you get a dark or light band (horizontal or vertical).

This PDF has some symptoms, causes, and fixes:

Reply to
Sparky

Yes, video is visible in the dark area, its only about half as bright as the rest of the screen. In dark scenes its not noticeable, but on light screens its easy to see it.

Reply to
Deke

Case 18 is similar, but not vertical, horizontal.

Reply to
Deke

Likely one of the tubes has failed, or possibly the inverter driving the tube.

Reply to
JW

1/4

out

insurance

the

tech.com/Documents/LCD%20TV%20Display%20failure%20symptoms%20and%20possible%

20

the

its

Is the good/bad division exactly adjascent to one line or graduation over a few lines?

Reply to
N_Cook

1/4

it out

ance

the

of

sible=AD%20

the

s its

What tubes - They stopped using vacuum tubes years ago, the last one was the CRT itself, and that would not fit the description of an LCD tv.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Why not? LCD TVs normally have multiples of CCLamps in them and yes, You would get this effect if one was out.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

tech.com/Documents/LCD%20TV%20Display%20failure%20symptoms%20and%20possible­%20

Err... I'm not referring to vacuum tubes, but CCFL tubes.

Reply to
JW

Insurance tech came today, and as I suspected, it has a back light that has failed. Now its a waiting game to see what they will do. Thanks to all who replied.

Reply to
Deke

And a call from the insurance agency came Friday, they are replacing the TV with a newer model Vizio, remanufactured, with better specs. They are also paying for UPS to deliver it to my house. I'm happy.

Reply to
Deke

of=20

on=20

I don't know the arrangement of the back plane CFL lamps, but it is possibl= e one of the lamps or its supply or both have failed for one area of the sc= reen. This is what your description sounds like.=20

It is also possible to have a defective panel or drive module, but from the= way you describe the fault, it may not be.=20

With some LCD panels it is possible to to change the back plane lamps and p= ower supply. All the lamps and the complete power supply assembly would hav= e to be replaced. Replacing only one defective lamp would result in uneven = illumination due to the age difference of the lamps.=20

I would seriously want to replace the set. The newer sets are far improved!= =20

Jerry G.=20

Reply to
Jerry G.