dark screen on 35 inch panasonic tv. repairable?

I have a ten year old 35" panasonic tv that has lately started to have a very dark picture. Even with the brightness turned up all the way, when the characters are in a dark scene the screen is almost completely black. Any ideas on what the problems are and if it's worth repairing?

Reply to
jsuper2

Great older T.V. Worth fixing, as long as the dim picture is clear. You may need to adjust the G 2 on the flyback, or more likely it could be a bad couple of electrolytic capacitors. May even just need some soldering, for bad connections, especially if there is a video input/output board in the set. Dani.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Dani

Is the onscreen display dark too or is it normal? I fixed a big CRT set a few years back that had a very dark picture but OSD was normal brightness. I finally tracked it down to a tiny 1/8W resistor in the ABL circuit thanks to a tip from this newsgroup pointing me to that general area.

Reply to
James Sweet

I'm betting on the common 1/8W resistor on the ABL line on this one also.

Reply to
dkuhajda

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1154782103.609523.152720 @s13g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I have fixed several Panasonic TV sets by replacing the ceramic capacitor on the CRT board that goes to the G2 (Screen voltage) pin on the CRT. The cap gets a little bit leaky and drags down the G2 on the picture tube. Replace the cap and all is golden.

--
~Ohmster
Reply to