CRT Monitor Blew Up?

Have an older 23" CRT VX1120 monitor. I lowered the resolution on it to 1280 x1024 and a few minutes later the screen went out and now it is totally black. Could something of blown up since I lowered the resolution? Or was it most likely just a coincedence that it failed on me at that time?

Reply to
Albert

If that's a Gateway it's supposed to be ok with that scan rate

It's possible the scan rate switching is bad and it blew up. It may not be worth the effort to repair though with a service manual it should be possible.

GG

Reply to
stratus46

Not really enough information about what's happening. It's a bit like saying "I went to a different petrol station today, and now my car won't start"

Are there any lights ? Can you see the CRT heater glowing ? Are there any ticking or whistling or 'pumping' noises coming from it ? Any "barummm" noise from the degausing circuit when first powered from a full cold power down ? Any 'rustle' of high voltage or feel any static on the back of your hand from the tube face, when you power up ?

May just be coincidence, but when resolution is altered, so is the nature of the stresses on some parts of the circuitry, and it's possible that it has triggered a fault that was 'waiting to happen' so to speak ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Did you actually hear something blow up?

Reply to
Meat Plow

Considering how cheap you can pick up large seconfhand Sony multiscans I'd say barely worth the trouble fixing it, although losing as large as a 23" screen is a bummer.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Umm ,,,, has he checked any fuses ? It it's *totally* dead ??

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Thanks for the replies. On second look I noticed that I put the resolution to 1280 x 960, which is not supported by the Gateway. What I saw was the whole screen, about 1 minute after changing resolution, disappeared forming a diamond shape, then a single vertical line and now it is totally dead.

I see nothing or hear nothing when I turn it on now. All I see is a blinking amber light showing that it is getting power. I also see no fuses or anything accessible that a non-qualified technician could replace so I assume it it ready for the grave yard. Was very surprised that even switching to an unsupported frequency could of caused something like this, even though it apparently worked for a minute or so????

Thanks to all who sent information.

Reply to
Albert

Power supply is in protection mode by the look of it... could be: bad secondary diodes, bad line output transformer or transistor, or frame / vertical chip.

A tech should take little time to diagnose the cause. However, in my experience with larger monitors you spend so much time dismantling to get access to the boards that repair could be too expensive or more that the unit is worth.

Was very surprised that even switching

ouch! ....could HAVE, never ever could OF. (modal verb in perfect infinitive )

(....takes off anorak ;-)))

Using a non supported screen resolution is dangerous for any monitor. If the monitor instructions say that you should be able to use 1280 X

1024, then its failure is purly coincidence.

For most monitors, after about 3 to 4 years their reliability drops off very rapidly.

Jerry G.

Reply to
Jerry G.

Oh bliss !! Someone else who can speak the language !!!

(my anorak off now as well ... d;~} )

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily