CRC ELECTRONICS CLEANER

DOES CRC leave a residue causing problems with soldering the cleaned area ?

Reply to
avagadro7

CRC Industries is a company, not a product. Kindly supply the name or number of the CRC automotive solvent that you're using to clean up your soldering. Then check the MSDS listing for any oils or additives that might consititute a residue.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

The ELECTRONICS CLEANER's msds lists no silicone or...but yes there is a naptha of unknown character.

CRC prob has the ground covered for soldering but jus' wondering you know.

I'm using this CRC for lubing lugnut studs when changing tires. The solder is on a relay board for aux PITA in my E250.

Reply to
avagadro7

What's the name or product number?

I'm also wondering why it's so difficult to extract the name or product number from you.

If your unspecified product is a lubricant, then it has some kind of lubricant residue. Methinks that would be a bad idea for cleaning off the flux after soldering.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

THE PRODUCT IS

contains a naptha. I conclude the naptha burns off with flux.

However, as with JIFFY LUBE, cleaned surfaces do not develop colors over time expect to darken the surface.

The spray is toxic in a closed area.

Reply to
avagadro7

** CRC QD appears to be a new product, going by the date on the MSDS sheet.

The can contains naptha and a propellant and not much else - naptha is a strong hydrocarbon solvent, once used as dry cleaning fluid.

I would expect the surface to be left very clean after use while both the naptha and propellant evaporate fast.

The stuff is however highly flammable, even explosive so no smoking while using it!

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Naphtha does not oxidize (burn) off anything. It dissolves and then evaporates. If you're lucky, it takes the diluted flux with it. If not, it leaves a residue of evenly distributed flux, in a very thin layer. Of course, if you wipe or blot it off, the flux goes with the solvent.

Looks like a mix of naphtha, difluoroethane, hexane, dimethylbutane, methylpentane. All of these ingredients evaporate. At the bottom of section 9, it proclaims: Percent volatile: 100% estimated which means that the cleaner leaves no residue. However, that does not mean that dissolving an unspecified type and amount of solder flux with the cleaner also does not leave a residue. For example, water soluble fluxes do not easily dissolve in organic solvents and do better with hot water as a flux cleaner. Other types of fluxes (i.e. no-clean flux) are made to be left in place on the PCB.

I guess you'll just have to test the cleaner. Take a sheet of clean window glass. Lay it horizontally flat. Spray some of the CRC Electronic Cleaner on the glass. Allow it to evaporate. If not, blot it dry but don't rub. Is there anything left on the glass? Repeat with anything claiming to be both a cleaner and lubricant and you should see an oily residue.

Incidentally, I use the stuff for cleaning automotive connectors. Works quite nicely.

By colors, I assume you mean oxidation of the copper PCB traces. Yes, cleaning off any protective coating of flux or goo will expose to copper to atmospheric attack.

So am I.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I've been using it for at least 10 years, so it's not a new product. However, there may have been changes in formulation, or MSDS reporting requirements.

I was using it to clean connectors under the hood of my truck. The engine was still warm. I managed to spray some on the engine, but saw no flames or smoke. The flash point of naphatha is 225C. I've measured 250C exhaust manifold temperature on my former truck, so I guess it's possible to create an explosion. This engine went to 425C and would certainly ignite the fumes:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

GLASS ! always enjoyed Glass....and Glassman.

I use EC as a general contact cleaner...if not then thinner then EC. EC replaced CHOH except for tanking parts.

I missed the 'percent volatile'

I set the van's 5.4 right bank on fire testing with 1948 methods n not reading the manual.

There's an AP halon extinguisher just inside the cargo door.....

the loom's wire wrap didnah suffer damages.

Reply to
avagadro7

** Naptha (70-80%) is similar to petrol and is the main solvent, as used in products like WD40.

Difluoroethene (20-30%) is the propellant, a gas at room temp it is also used alone cans of "air duster".

The last two are in very small amounts, so likely just common contaminants of the others.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison