Cracked Printed Circuit Board

The corner of the PCB holding the USB port has snapped off the main board. This has rendered my HP printer u/s. I need to reconnect the corner - but how. I thought of drilling small holes in the board and using jump link wires across the splt. But I need a really small drill, and also a micro soldering iron. Anyone know where I can get these. Thanks - Chris B.

Reply to
CJB

JB weld epoxy, thin jumper wire, 15 watt soldering iron and solder from radio shack, priceless!

Reply to
tm

Second the suggestion!

Reply to
hrhofmann

is one place to find small tools. A Dremel-style tool set may also come with small drills or burrs.

Could you post a picture of the damage to a site like

?

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

There is no need to drill holes. Just scrape the solder mask off the traces on either side of the gap and solder wire across. You don't even need a micro tip. Flux the area and you can 'wave' solder with a blob on a normal tip. Or, if you have access to where the traces terminate, attach your wires at those points, and remove the trace stubs if you are worried about making antennas.

Reply to
alphamnemonic

How many layers does the board have?

Reply to
LSMFT

Ignore the broken bit other than what trace goes to where. Trace back each track to the nearest solder point or place where you can easily solder to the trace and take individual magnet wire "traces" to the solder points behind the USB. Then epoxy the broken piece into placem perhaps with reinforcement

Reply to
N_Cook

Very many thanks for the tips - I shall now have a go at repairing same. The PCB corner was snapped off when I tripped over the USB cable. Its a weak point almost designed in to snap off. I need to locate a micro soldering iron though - Radio Shack / Tandy no longer trade in the UK, and Maplin don't do one small enough. Chris B.

Reply to
CJB