CR2023? CR2032 Batteries

I could swear the battery I removed was 2023 but when I went to the store I pulled out a 2032 which might have gotten confused when I looked for

2023. But the 2032 I bought fit into the socket.

The computer in question still has CMOS errors, so I'm wondering if I popped the wrong battery in. But it fit perfectly in the socket.

THis is a 1995 Gateway (GW2k) P5-75 CMOS battery.

If it was 2023 I lost the 2023. Are they similar enough? Is there any way to check which one was used by Gateway? (I had found a completely different one online when I searched a few months ago which is why I was susprised which one I found)

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

According to the internet they are pretty much the same. An old PC like tha t might need some manual configuration. I'd pull out pretty much everything and load setup or default values and see what happens. then add stuff one at a time, probably starting with the harddrive.

Reply to
jurb6006

A CR2032 is 20 mm diameter, 3.2 mm thick, 225ma-hr A CR2025 is 20 mm diameter, 2.5 mm thick, 165ma-hr There is no CR2023 battery. Either will fit in a 20 mm dia battery holder.

The only real difference is that the 2025 is thinner and may not make as solid a connection as the thicker CR2032. You can bend the top + terminal on the battery holder to compensate. However, I'm fairly sure your ancient Gateway uses a CR2032 battery and that you bought and installed the correct battery.

Why it doesn't work is unknown. Did you install it upside-down? The + goes on top.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I think you misread the number. There is no CR2023, but there is a CR2025.

The difference among these cells is their thickness, which translates into a difference in capacity. There is nothing wrong with using a higher-capacity cell than required, unless (as someone else pointed out), it doesn't make proper contact.

It's a good idea to keep a separate list of the CMOS settings, "just in case" you have to re-enter values appropriate to your computer. In principle, any computer should boot with the default settings.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

There is a CR2025. Many motherboards of that vintage used them, but probably just as many used the CR2032. They are close enough in size that a CR2032 will fit in a socket for a CR2025 that is basically a cup with tabs to hold the battery in and a large flat spring to contact it.

There is a socket that looks like the letter U where the battery slides down into it, and that is too close a tolerance for a CR2032 to fit.

At this point, if it works, make a label that says CR2032 on it, and stick it on the motherboard. :-)

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379
Reply to

It appears I found a typo on the internet. (oh dear lol)

jurb6006

Today we received the 2032 cells from Digikey. 100 pcs Panasonic for $19.25 .

Don't pay those horrible drugstore prices.

Reply to
stratus46

Gotta watch where you get them too. I've gotten plenty of them bad outof the box.

Damn industry, they change every other damn thing just for the sake of change, but when it comes to these batteries you could be getitng them after they sat for twenty years, literally.

Reply to
jurb6006

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com frembragte:

I'm not sure they'll work in 20 years when i need the last one.

In the drugstore you also pay for the plastic and cardboard for each one, and for somebody to restock the pegs with the cardboards, perhaps for somebody to put pricelabels on each one.

--

beslutning at undlade det.
Reply to

I don't know. One drugstore here for a while was selling generic batteries of that kind, relatively cheap. They may still do, and simply moved them.

I can get them for fifty cents at a the local outlet of the Big Chain Hiking store here in Canada. Name brand too. Not absolutely cheap, but cheap enough. Not every type either. I remember buying some small LED flashers from the store (intended for bicycle use, but useful as handy little flashlights since they can be put to a constant on) and thinking when the button cells died, I'd be buying new flashers, since the batteries would be as expensive. But the store carries replacement batteries preciesly for that reason.

For odd batteries, some of the dollar store items can offer up button cells of various kinds. I was buying 99cent laser pointers for a while to feed batteries into small clocks and the like I had no problem with the batteries. But then, I needed some white LEDs for something recently, and bought a 99cent LED flashlight that offered up 5 white LEDs, Handier than any other source, probably cheaper too. And it's no wonder those flashlights often have an LED or two not working; the the LEDs in this flashlight had one side of the leads twisted together (no solder) and the other leads hoping to make contact with the case of the flashight for the return. So it's probably a better source of LEDs than a flashlight.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

It worked fine. Dunno why I thought it was 2023 (my home address is 2028 so I should have remembered right). Oy, my eyes are old...

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

Gosh, I wish I knew a place that still made the battery for my 1980 HP2621 terminal. It loses the settings whenever I shut it off. I haven't used it on a regular basis since 1995, though. But it worked so well. Gold contacts on the keys, all I had to do was squeeze them with pliers when they acted up. I should give it up - the glass is peeling and the glue gaps look like mildew. Not in a big way, though.

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

So where's the problem?

One time I bought a nice LCD desk clock, I liked it a lot, though it was no more than five dollars. When the button cell died, I was cheap, just soldered an AA battery to it, which lasted even longer.

That sort of battery isnt' likely to be more than a few volts, so you could just solder something else in. Uncover what voltage is needed and then solder an alkaline AA or two in place. At worse, you'll have to solder in a new pair in a decade or so. You could get fancy, use nicad or nimh, but then you have to figure out some method of keeping them charged, hardly worth the effort when the AAs will last so long.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

That's to say nothing of your motherboard.

Reply to
Kaz Kylheku

Bullshit. Digikey is a major worldwide electronics distributor, and the 2032 is a very popular coin cell.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The manual lists a Duracell TR133:

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

the 2032 is a very popular coin cell. "

Wasn't from Digikey. It was a long time ago. Actually I haven't had one go bad in decades.

Reply to
jurb6006

The message you replied to was about buying from Digikey. Are you ever sober?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

onics distributor, and > the 2032 is a very popular coin cell. " > > Wasn't from Digikey. It was a long time ago. Actually I haven't had one go bad in decades. The message you replied to was about buying from Digikey. Are you ever sober? -- Anyone wanting to run for any political office in the US sh ould have to have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

I said that I had gotten bad ones in the past. Someone said something about Digikey and I replied that the bad ones were not from Digikey.

Are YOU sober ? WTF is your problem ?

Reply to
jurb6006

In message , snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com writes

Is this thread still active? If so, just a bit of information.

Just last week I was in a shop, looking for a CR2032 among all the other batteries. Those on the hook marked CR2032 all appeared to be 2023 (which I've never heard of), shown vertically on the lower right side of the dual pack. It then spotted CR2032 written horizontally and slightly smaller, at the top left corner of the pack. I then realised that 2023 was the 'best before' date!

--
Ian
Reply to