CR is now stupid

What the heck is wrong with Consumer Reports? I thought they were smart. The most recent rating of alkaline batteries went to, gasp, Duracell, the leak-most battery. They must be on the take now or what? I have access to other brands that are just as good power-wise and have never leaked. I can count out on all the fingers on my ten hands the number of times I have had to clean out battery compartments on various high end electronics devices. And Duracell, nowhere, explains how to clean up after their mess. Recently I tried the old chemical version of CLR. It seems to work ok but is very acidic. The new CLR is not as active chemically, it seems to me.

Suggestions please, other than do not use Duracell.

OldeGuye

If they're so great, why didn't you list these better-than-Duracell brands?

Reply to
Gary Walters

Batteries leak an alkaline solution (a base, not an acid) and thus the damage can be abated somewhat by using a mild acid. Acetic acid works well (white vinegar 50/50 water) to clean up the mess and stop the alkaline from continuing the etching. Then rinse with Ph neutral water.

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson

Where did you get the impreion that these leaked acid? CLR is acidic but more.

Vinegar does not work here. I tried it and NO reaction. The old CLR did work.

The new CLR here in California, perhaps other places, has lost its punch but other non-brandname products that use the old formula.

OldeGuye

What batteries have you found to be better than Duracell?

Sparky

Reply to
Sparky

When you said you were using CLR and that it was previously acidic I was trying to provide an alternative if the formulation for CLR is now alkaline then it won't work.

Perhaps I misunderstood your original post.

I've been using vinegar for decades on battery leakage in our arcade games and it often will fizz up when applied to fresh leakage or even old leakage showing there is a reaction with the remaining base.

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson

I have been using the Duracell then switched to the Costco brand Kirkland, AA and AAA. So far after several years of using the Kirkland I have had zero leaks.

CR previously rated kirkland the best AA. Not sure why they changed. Kirkland is certainly less expensive. I think anyone can buy them online. Most Costco online stuff can be purchased by non-members. Something I did not know for years.

I do not know who actually makes the Kirkland batteries. Anyone?

OldeGuye

"new" CLR lacks oxalic acid. Boo.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader