could this simple solution work for solder smoke device?

I've been looking for a cheap, possibly DIY solder smoke solution. I did see the device here that someone shared, but it appears to use water and it looks like he's adding the carbon later. I had hoped for something simpler, then I came across this:

My local home improvement store has this filter:

That particular filter, although somewhat expensive (MERV=12), is supposed to remove smoke along with a host of other pollutants. It looks like there are one or two filters also available at even higher MERV ratings, but more expensive and I wanted the cheapest alternative that would still take care of the smoke. Using a filter like this in front of the box fan and placing near my soldering area would no doubt suck in the smoke, but what about the effectiveness? Anyone ever try it or use this method? Also, as I wouldn't be running the combination all the time, it should last a lot longer than 3 months.

Thanks.

Reply to
Alex Borroughs

That would certainly clear the smoke out of a room, but I think it misses t he point of a smaller device that could be directed to a specific location. A fan of that size takes up considerable real-estate, makes a good deal of noise, and cannot be easily directed.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

How would you know if it works?

 Click to see the full signature

Quite right. I liked the smaller unit posted here recently, but he's using watered down filters. I had hoped to avoid that mess, plus he says they take a long time to dry. If dry layers could have been used instead, that would have been a winner for me, but I don't know enough about it.

I liked the box fan-filter idea because it was so simple. True, it will take up a lot more space then the other device, but I can have it ready in a pinch and not worrying about drying out afterwards.

Reply to
Alex Borroughs

The best way I know how might be to try burning something smoky like incense for a few minutes and see if the smell clears the room. I know that's probably not the best way. I was relying more on filter specs than anything else. That seemed to be the lowest strength that filtered smoke also.

Reply to
Alex Borroughs

I use a pair of Dylos Pro Particle counters:

YASAAEgIPRfD_BwE

One at the input of the filter, one at the output.

Ordinarily, particle counters are useless for home use since they cannot distinguish between organic particles such as dust mite excretement, cat dander, etc., and harmless mist from taking a shower or cooking.

However, a pair of particle counters are excellent at determing the effectiveness of a filter.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

The water-filters increase the efficiency of the filters used. There are an y number of dry carbon-filters that would also do the trick, and there are any number of methods to treat the water so that mold/mildew would not form in the filters. My concerns with a simple particle filter are as follows:

a) Particle filters (MERV-13) are useless against gasses, odors and pretty much useless against micro-contaminants (smaller than one (1) Micron. b)The components of solder-rosin smoke that are (sometimes) harmful would p ass right through it. c) Footprint - no matter how large a bench one has, there is always just a little bit too-little room on it.

Depending on how much your time is worth, this would solve the problem once and for all at a not-ridiculous cost.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Great idea until I saw the price, ouch, but probably the no doubt best way.

Reply to
Alex Borroughs

Well, if I didn't have to remove, wash and dry the filters each time in the device Horton used, how would I go about treating the water to prevent mold build up?

I will check this out, thank you.

Reply to
Alex Borroughs

Understand two things first. The filters are to be kept DAMP, not saturated . So, there is not a lot of water in there in the first place. I expect tha t they would dry out (in a normal interior climate) before the 'grew' in an y case - much as the sponge on your tip-cleaner if you use that method. Sec ond, any filter you use will either need to be cleaned or replaced with som e frequency depending on use.

With that in mind, synthetic filters are not attacked by most common solven ts and disinfectants. So, one tablespoon of household bleach per pint of wa ter, a 10% solution of isopropyl alcohol and water, two jiggers of vodka pe r pint of water, a teaspoon of borax per pint of water and so on all would take care of any growth issues.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Got it.

All I have is Everclear and of course rubbing alcohol here, so one will do!

Thank you. I think what Horton posted is what I will go with after all.

Reply to
Alex Borroughs

Most of my soldering nowadays is done peering down a binocular microscope. If I have to do more than I can manage to hold my breath for, I use a snorkel. Works well.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

I love my Mantis. It's super 3D, super bright and clear, and has a big working distance.

I can put a rackmount box on the bench and swing the Mantis over/into it.

You can also poke a regular camera into the hood

I don't worry about solder smoke. I've been soldering since I was 3 years old.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

ath

I ended up going with Mr. Horton's solution as I also made the "5 layer"

device and added an activated carbon layer as well using a spare, non-functional fan as containment. Device works pretty darn well. I haven't done any soldering yet, but it has done a remarkable job just cleaning the air in one of the bedrooms.

Sounds like someone does surface mount soldering. I attempted it once and the result was disaster and haven't done so since.

Reply to
Alex Borroughs

Smd for the most part is very easy, However you have to have the proper equipment to do it.

I bet that Mantis is nice, but as a hobbiest I can not afford to put $

1500 to much more than that in it. I did buy an Amscore scope 10x for about $ 200 that works well . A hot air wand and very small soldering pencil is needed. The one for around $ 75 is good enough for very casual work. Just don't drink coffee for about a week before trying it.. I don't drink coffee anyway.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

That's about all that I do. I was intiially terrified of 1206 parts. Now I find 0402s to be mildly annoying.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

Though the solders of the 1960s didn't scar your lungs, the fluxes in use nowadays are sufficiently diverse that a precaution or two might be appropriate. Like air conditioning to prevent perspiration, a bit of airflow so the work isn't upwind of your face might be a good soldering-station idea. Consider the musical warning "Smoke gets in your eyes".

Reply to
whit3rd

Be glad that you don't do Microwave work that sometimes use 0201 or 01005 capacitors, at a fraction of a pF. They look like dust, in the container. :(

Reply to
Michael Terrell