Could this device be built? (2023 Update)

Sitting at a gas station as some backwards baseball cap and saggass britches wearing kid parks in the fire zone in front of the store with some fukdamuhfukinniggahbeyotch crap blasting out of his truck for everyone's entertainment, got me to thinking.

Would it be possible to build a gizmo that could be surreptitiously aimed at the offending stereo system to fry some crucial components? It would have to be able to do it on a pretty localized basis without causing damage to the person aiming the gizmo or innocent bystanders or their car's electronics. Whether it would fry any additional components of said target punk's car isn't of great concern.

Call it The Rapper Zapper.

Just wonderin'.

:-)

Reply to
Spob

Hi!

I don't know about building a dedicated device, nor am I sure I like the aspect of damaging something that isn't mine, but...I know what you're saying.

If you were close enough, and they happened to be listening to over-the-air FM radio, you could try a low power FM transmitter. Some of them do have surprisingly good range and can cover/distort an existing station when close enough to the receiver. I've got one that seems to be able to go about 30 feet or so.

Then there is the direct (and bold) approach--walk over, reach in through the window and turn the thing off. Or if you're feeling vindictive, pull a small mallet out of your pocket and thoroughly bash in the head unit. But I didn't say that. ;-)

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Simple: Their mind is already fried.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

How about, "MC Mute".... that should confuse the enemy. ;-)

Reply to
David Morgan (MAMS

Fry?...don't think so. However, take a look at this:

Bob

Reply to
Bob

FYI- there is a system already fielded for 20 years, that does fry electronics, military uses it.

Reply to
Dear Leader

Bass-seeking missle. Someone here needs to invent a bass-seeking missle. I will order at least a dozen.

<SFX: Car playing really loud rap music at 3 AM:>

Boom Budda Boom Budda Boom Budda *BLAM!*

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Yes, "fry". Did you guys see the 60 minutes piece some time ago about some "inventor" who had a device to "fry" auto computers. Details were sparce, but clearly seemed to be some kind of cross between a tesla coil and a microwave pulser. He stopped a running car at some distance (cheated by having hood up).

The point is that any solid state device always has a bunch of semi- conductors that follow the rule: Semiconductor parts make better fuses than fuses! Usually most solid state circuit boards have some of these are low voltage parts that can't take much emi.

I wouldn't be surprised if cops had emi car stoppers right now. Sure beats a 100 MPH chase or those tire spikes that could send a 100 MPH car into a neighborhood house. I have also heard rumors that all modern car computers have "secret" codes that can be transmitted into them that stops them. Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Reply to
Benj

Par a noid.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It would me, a lot! CNN wouldn't get its jollies by covering "high- speed" chases (e.g.. OJ).

Tin_foil_hat class.

Reply to
krw

Held in place by cement coated staples?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Benj snipped-for-privacy@iwaynet.net posted to sci.electronics.design:

Only Vista OS computers that. It is advertised as a feature.

Reply to
JosephKK

Sure. Remington and Winchester both make products that will do precisely this thing.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Smith & Wesson makes something that will do a pretty good job.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

How about a high-powered laser that could be used to flatten tires or melt holes in metal from a 15' distance?

H. R. Hofmann

Reply to
hr(bob) " <hr

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 06:12:50 GMT, Matt Ion snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com trained 100 monkeys to jump on the keyboard and write:

Actually, this device is actually made and in use, though not nearly as widespread as one would hope.

To paraphrase Joss Whedon via Reverend Book, "They'll be going to that special hell reserved for people who talk at the theatre".

Reply to
jtougas

In message <46c89dce$0$11061$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com, Dan snipped-for-privacy@nospamstuff.com writes

That's exactly what you should do. I have invested heavily in Amplivox hearing aid stocks, it's a long term thing but I feel I'm on a winner.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

At some hacker congress I once saw a proposed device consisting of a satellite dish and the guts of a microwave oven.

I dreamed about it while lying awake at night when I lived in an apartment with nothing but a wooden ceiling between a jukebox and my apartment.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Ah yes, I believe some people have designed a gadget along those very lines and called them "guns"

That rules out the USA then.

Phildo

Reply to
Phildo

In the end he suggests the use of a water-pistol.

Reply to
Arny Krueger